Medusa Studio X-Treme review by Minarik

Minarik: Medusa Studio X-Treme

This guitar is great for any style of music. The pickups are best for classic rock to modern hard rock sound but can't really do modern metal well. I'm playing it though my Peavey Valveking 112 with a Celestion Vintage 30 until I get my Mesa Mark V and it sounds damned good. Its a little too bass heavy at times, which I think may be partly because of the pickups. I would classify these pickups as medium output. I'm thinking about upgrading them at some point cause I'm not too fond of them. The guitars clean tones however are utterly amazing though any combination of the pickups. The cleans are almost Strat-like.

The only thing I don't like about this guitar is the pickups. But everything else is great. If it were stolen I would probably buy a different guitar, just because its not anything super fantastic, but its definitely awesome. I wish it had 24 X-Jumbo frets but thats not a big deal. Overall its a great guitar, not "the be all end all" of guitars but its still pretty great.

Guitar feels very sturdy. A lot lighter than it looks like it would be. Doesn't have strap locks but thats not a big deal. The strap buttons are both on the back of the guitar so it has perfect balance. I wouldn't gig without a back up just because of the chance of a string breaking, but if that wasn't a possibility then definitely. The finish seems tough, no pick scratches yet. Very reliable guitar.

The guitar was set up great from the factory. I swapped out the stock strings for .11 gauges with a wound g. Deals well with drop tunings, the farthest I've gone is drop C. Everything else is great. No cosmetic flaws.

I don't know the year but I would assume 2009 since this is a new model guitar. 22 frets Mahogany Neck Transparent Burgundy Finish Medusa Shape Mahogany Body Tune-O-Matic Bridge Passive Tone Perfect Pickups 2 Volume, 2 Tone 3 Way Toggle Imperial Step Tuners Custom Molded Hardshell Case

Oldguitarbro
    I have a few Minariks.Themore conservative ones.And yes they do make more traditional looking ones.They just don,t get the play that the weird ones do.I have a goddess in ocean burst and a shattered mirror lotus.And I can tell you that these are the best bang for the buck axes I have ever played.Been playing for 30 + yrs own19gits including an Eric Johnson strat(nice but overpriced).And a 5000 dollar Warr (underpriced)If you have not tried one don,t knock it.It,s one of the few brands that the bridge pickup does not sound like like crap.The guitars themselves sound like a cross between a les Paul and a rickenbacker.Unique in their sound.And yes they do modern metal quite well. I,ll admit that the ornamentation threw me at first on the goddess,I,m getting so tired of abalone anyone?The Koreans outdid themselves .And Mark Minarik? When is the last time you could talk to the head of a company? Nice guy.Also these are produced in batches,not #3000 my goddess is number24!!!!.So go to YouTube ,listen to them.Then decide okay? And thanks!
    livewire76
    Minarik make wierd guitars! I understand the concept but it really isn't a look that i like. Call me biased, conservative or agruably even brain-washed but i havn't seen one guitar from Minarik (and i've seen a few) that i'd trade for my Les Paul. The esthetics spoil any improvements in tone or sustain that Minarik might claim i.e. i'd be very surprised if these guitars are around and praised in 50 years time like say LP's, Strat's, SG's or Tele's are.. As for the review: It starts of by saying "this guitar is great for any style of music". Before the end of the next sentence we're told the pickups suck for metal. What?? So metal isn't a kind of music then? Or does the reviewer have the memory of a goldfish? Lol That put me off reading the rest of the review really. I mean it hardly fills you with confidence that the review was well thought out, considered piece of work. A bit like Minarik guitars: striving to impress but failing im afraid.
    phillybob232
    guys remember this is the studio version. pretty amazing engineering for the out of america plant. don't beat on minarik for flaws in their affordable attempts. Some of their stuff is too gawdy, but I'm in love with ornate guitars if they aren't too weird looking (search minarik nitecrawler. yuck). I like the normal, $3000+ version of this guitar, as well as minarik's lotus, goddess, halo, and acoustic model. But when it comes down to the studio x-treme version of the medusa, gonna have to say let down big time. really disappointing.
    FUT55
    the madusa is the only really really cool minarik iv seen. but its seriously great
    espplayer400
    i absolutely hate how all of minariks guitars look. either way too out there, or too gawdy, or whatever. ive never played one though, but for the amount of money they cost, they better sound like sex.
    CemetaryGates90
    the guitar definitely has a lot of bass. but it also does have sustain for days. as much as the les paul i had before. i think it might also sound better with a better amp and i think the tubes in mine are dying.
    papyrusreed42
    actually i don't think les pauls or strats and tele casters have mind blowing tones its just just that when people were trying to innovate with music back then those were the only good guitars around so music kinda got built around the tones that the guitars gave .... if you'r searching for a tone that fits a specific genere made popular by a specific artist .. buy his guitar and his rig ... but if u'r experimenting and want u'r own unique tone that sounds good and u really don't care about genere then you should look at new experimental guitars and instruments ... who knows 50 years down the line someone might be looking for a guitar that sounds like a minarik to play some new crazy genere made popular by it like uber psychedelic amalgamation jazz or something ..... ..
    Xanron
    The swirly thing near the knobs is hollow to give it some resonance, same with the huge horn at the top of the body, When he said it had too much of the bass it was because of the horn on the body. I saw it at NAMM.
    SeanX3187
    seems interesting. i'm usually against oddly shaped guitars because from my experience they're cumbersome and sometimes because of the body shape don't have very good sustain, but if this guitar has neither of those, then there's nothing wrong with it. it keeps things less boring.
    Dudeman5000
    CemetaryGates90 wrote: idk why he didnt use it at neverender. he used is at the las angeles one but not at the new york dvd one
    Cheers. DVD one was the only one I got the privilige of seeing
    CemetaryGates90
    rv_phoenix
    This is one of the sh...est looking guitars on the market today. You can barely notice it's a guitar, in fact. At this price, it probably sounds well, but why would anyone be the gig's laughinstock? With so many fools around us, if you are a good player, you could easily get frustrated: they will all look at the strange creature in your arms and nobody will listen to your solos...