MD200 review by Mitchell

• Users' score: 9 (1 vote)
Mitchell: MD200

Year of production: Unknown. It is known however, the guitar is brand new, and is likely not even a year old. This guitar features a basswood body, maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard that shines a beautiful deep red. The body is a string-through body construction. This MD200 in particular is painted gloss black. The Tuners are solid and reliable as need be. Oddly enough, this guitar features 2 Volumes and a single tone knob. This guitar also has an interesting pickup configuration too. A normal "rail" style humbucker in the bridge and a Single coil sized humbucker in the neck position but make no mistake, the neck pickup IS infact a humbucker as well. And the Tone knob is also a coil splitter.

This guitar suits my playing styles pretty well. I play mostly rock. I play this guitar on a Peavey Vypyr 30 watt guitar amp, almost always with distortion. This guitar does cleans exceptionally well. The sound this guitar produces is unusual. I've played a few guitars and this Mitchell MD200 has a unique sound all its own. Not necessarily bad, but unique. Its hard to describe. The guitar has a full-ish sounding? if that makes any sense. The pickups almost seem medium output. They are not blisteringly hot, but they aren't quite vintage output either.

When the Guitar arrived at my home, it needed a truss rod adjustment but afterwords, it played perfectly fine. The action is nice and low. The pickups were close enough to the sweet distance from the strings. The only flaws this guitar has is a mild chip in the paint around the screw holes to the neck and the 8th fret has some very minor fret buzz, its barely noticeable. Everything about the guitar feels fresh. There is no oxidization anywhere on the frets strings or electronics. The neck even has that freshly sanded feel about it.

I do not play professionally, so i couldn't say on how it plays live. The hardware seems well enough put together. I've never had any electrical problems out of this guitar. The guitar itself feels well put together and feels like it will last a nice long time if taken care of properly. It's pretty dependable. It surprisingly holds its tuning pretty well, I keep it tuned in Drop C. I am unsure as to the quality of the paint finish, its nice and almost pristine, minor buffs and scuffs, but I think I may have done that myself by accident.

I play mostly rock and the other sub-genres of rock. Trash, prog, grunge, alt, etc,... The guitar itself is everything I really want in a guitar. Bolt-on construction, string through body and no nonsense. I especially like the body cut-away around the upper frets, its rounded away like a ibanez jem 7 and is very comfortable soloing. If this guitar was lost or stolen, hell yea I'd get another one. I compared this guitar to a Dean Vendetta because it is another similar guitar I own and a well known example. The Dean Vendetta comes with hotter pickups than the Mitchell MD200, but the MD200 is more comfortable to play. I love the guitar itself. I just wish the bridge pickup was hotter and grittier. I will be replacing the bridge pickup with a aftermarket humbucker in the future.