SG-580 review by Morgan

• Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Morgan: SG-580

Purchased from: Aasgaard Music

I play blues, metal and rock (mostly the two latter) and thi guitar provides a good sound for all genre's (combined with appropriate effects), though probably more fitted for rock. I use a Morgan 75W GC-712 amp, nothing awesome, but it works for me, together with Zoom G-2, Boss MT-2, BD-2 and Ibanez SM7. On the neck-pickups the sound is good and fat, while the bridge pick-ups make a bright and clear lead-sound. The only problem for me is that the sustain is a bit weak.

The guitar plays very well, and relative to the price it's fantastic indeed (list price 470$) and honestly I'm impressed I've had this for so long without any major problems. As mentioned, the strap-knobs may ought to be replaced before any more serious performances. The upper strap-knob is located on the back of the guitar, where neck and body meet. This makes the guitar somewhat "top-heavy" though after had for a week of two I barely notice anymore. The guitar is probably meant for rock, but works great with metal, and does a decent job with blues as well. The only thing that still annoys me is the problem accessing the high frets. The guitars sound makes good for lead/solos, but the frets accessibility makes it more fit for rhythm. Morgan makes good guitars, and compared to price; awesome guitars. If I lost this one, I'd buy it again, no regrets there.

I've used this guitar for a few minor local performances, and it did deliver. I would trust this as my only guitar on-stage, though I'd might invest in some straplocks before any major events. The light-weight of the guitar is amazing, you barely feel it on you. It has lasted for 1.5 years and besides a few dents on the front plus the well-known buckle-rash, it still plays like new.

Well-fitted action and pick-ups, though maye a bit low-action on the low-E string, but nothing I've ever bothered to fix, not that major problem. As I bought the guitar brand-new, the finish and body were beatifull with no scratches or dents, and hardware, knobs, tuning pegs were solid, and still are after one and a half-years frequent use. Something that has always bothered me though is that the higher frets (20-22) are hard to reach because of the way the body is cut, making a lot of solo's at those frets difficult to play as well as awkward to watch.

Bought this guitar in 2007, think it was made in 2006. The neck and body of mahogany while the fretboard (22 frets) is made from rosewood. All-black finish with chrome hardware. Body-shape is the SG most of us know from Angus Young's rock'n roll-roaming of stages world-wide. Passive electronics, 4 tuning-knobs (2 volume, 2 tone) and a 3-way Switch. HH-humbuckers and non-locking tuners, able to keep tuning correct over long time-periods (except during excessive bending). Came with a nice, basic gig-bag, strap and chromatic tuner.

austin_m
    im still learning how to play is this guitar worth the buy for more learning