SG-580 Review

Morgan: SG-580
review (1) pictures (1) 5 comments vote for this gear:
SG-580 Reviewed by: Scorpiotic, on may 22, 2009

Purchased from: Aasgaard Music

Features: Bought this guitar in 2007, think it was made in 2006. The neck and body of mahogany while the fretboard (22 frets) is made from rosewood. All-black finish with chrome hardware. Body-shape is the SG most of us know from Angus Young's rock'n roll-roaming of stages world-wide. Passive electronics, 4 tuning-knobs (2 volume, 2 tone) and a 3-way Switch. HH-humbuckers and non-locking tuners, able to keep tuning correct over long time-periods (except during excessive bending). Came with a nice, basic gig-bag, strap and chromatic tuner. // 7

Sound: I play blues, metal and rock (mostly the two latter) and thi guitar provides a good sound for all genre's (combined with appropriate effects), though probably more fitted for rock. I use a Morgan 75W GC-712 amp, nothing awesome, but it works for me, together with Zoom G-2, Boss MT-2, BD-2 and Ibanez SM7. On the neck-pickups the sound is good and fat, while the bridge pick-ups make a bright and clear lead-sound. The only problem for me is that the sustain is a bit weak. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well-fitted action and pick-ups, though maye a bit low-action on the low-E string, but nothing I've ever bothered to fix, not that major problem. As I bought the guitar brand-new, the finish and body were beatifull with no scratches or dents, and hardware, knobs, tuning pegs were solid, and still are after one and a half-years frequent use. Something that has always bothered me though is that the higher frets (20-22) are hard to reach because of the way the body is cut, making a lot of solo's at those frets difficult to play as well as awkward to watch. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar for a few minor local performances, and it did deliver. I would trust this as my only guitar on-stage, though I'd might invest in some straplocks before any major events. The light-weight of the guitar is amazing, you barely feel it on you. It has lasted for 1.5 years and besides a few dents on the front plus the well-known buckle-rash, it still plays like new. // 9

Overall Impression: The guitar plays very well, and relative to the price it's fantastic indeed (list price 470$) and honestly I'm impressed I've had this for so long without any major problems. As mentioned, the strap-knobs may ought to be replaced before any more serious performances. The upper strap-knob is located on the back of the guitar, where neck and body meet. This makes the guitar somewhat "top-heavy" though after had for a week of two I barely notice anymore. The guitar is probably meant for rock, but works great with metal, and does a decent job with blues as well. The only thing that still annoys me is the problem accessing the high frets. The guitars sound makes good for lead/solos, but the frets accessibility makes it more fit for rhythm. Morgan makes good guitars, and compared to price; awesome guitars. If I lost this one, I'd buy it again, no regrets there. // 9

Comments