ST-251 review by Morgan

• Reviewer's score: 3 Poor
Morgan: ST-251

Purchased from: Muzikmagasinet

This guitar doesn't really fit my playing style very well. It was my first electric, and of course, when I bought it, I didn't realise how much the right guitar mattered to my guitar-playing experience. I play metal/hardcore, and I really think this guitar is better suited for playing power chords and repetative riffs rather than fast licks and solos, but that's just how I feel about it. I use a "Cube 15" 15-watt amplifier, and of course, my amplifier has to take some of the blame for the way the guitar sounds. But when the amplifier is set to "clean", the sound is rather edgy and not a very pleasant one. To be honest, the difference between this guitar and my ESP LTD KH-202 is harder to tell when the effect is set to "metal stack". The sound-variation is barely there when you turn on the different modes with the 5-way selector, so you have to rely on some good effects pedal or your amplifier.

I'm not an experienced guitar player, but after owning this guitar for some years now I'd say I have a pretty good idea about how this one works. I've not played many different guitars, and I've mainly based this review on how this guitar works in comparison to my other electric the ESP LTD KH-202. Anyway, I would like to say that this is probably one of the better guitars you'll get for 200 bucks, but that's also as far as I'm willing to go on the positive side. You will probably get a lot better experience from buying a more expensive, but more solid and reliable guitar.

The guitar doesn't endure much playing, and after playing it for a year, it will probably need some sort of major repair or service (I've played mine for 2, and I've had to turn it in 3 times). Also, this will depend on how much you are planning to use it. But be warned, if you're looking for a guitar that last for years, you should probably adjust the price-range a bit.

When I first got the guitar, the neck was a bit twisted, so I had to return it, not a very good sign. Also the frets where a bit high some places, making it impossible to get a clean note from some of the frets. When I got it back, I noticed that the surface had several cracks and the store claimed that this wasn't their fault, but the manufacturer (yeah right). Still, amazingly, there weren't any problems with the electronics or the tuners (wohoo! ) Although I suspect that that was due to pure luck rather than thorough manufacturing.

This guitar is a very Standard guitar. It doesn't have any really special features, but doesn't look too bad. It has a thin, maple neck with 21 frets, and the body is made from solid Ash. The controls are limited to a volume, and two different tone "wheels" and it ha a 5-way selector. The electronics are passive, and the pickups are cheap, but as I've already mentioned, it's really a very basic guitar.

KapsLock
    great review! I believe I'm the proud owner of an identical guitar, and you've really got a complete review of it here. Due to a little misunderstanding I rated the guitar to 9... well, the guitar is okey for me as a beginner, but my my ratng was ment to please your good work with this.
    Nicsu
    Good review. I own this guitar and have been playing for about two yers soon, and I really like this guitar. I might not have a lot to compare with, but I think the sound is reliable and i've never had to repair mine or anything. 6/10 I'd say. Oh and btw this guitar has 22 frets, not 21..