EGT34 review by Music Research Works

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Music Research Works: EGT34

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

This guitar doesn't have the same sound you would find in a Gibson or an Epiphone, but it does the job. Expecially for a beginner because of it's price. I play mostly blues, hard/classic rock, and metal. I use this guitar with a Crate GT212 and a Dunlop Classic Crybaby Wah. The guitar isn't really all that noisy.

This guitar can play all sorts of music that I play. I've been playing for about 9 months now and I own a Crate GT212 and a Dunlop Classic Crybaby. I wished I had asked about the Epiphone Les Paul line before buying this guitar. If it were to be stolen I would go out and buy either an Ep or a Gibson. Or if I didn't have the money I'm sure I would just buy it again. I don't really know what I love about it, maybe that it was a cheap guitar and sounds pretty good for the price. I hate how almost everyhting was not right when I first baught the guitar. I compared the guitar to the MRW SG, and the SG just didn't feel like it would last. I wish it had better humbuckers/pickups, and a less noisy 3 way selector. Overall not so bad, it's like Squire quality I guess.

This guitar will most likely withstand live playing. The hardware will last no doubt unless I were to smash teh hell out of it. I'm going to be changing the pickups and the selector if I don't buy an Epi or a Gibson by christmas. The strap button always come loose and I have to almost everyday tighten them back up. If I were ever to use this guitar live I'm sure I would be able to go on stage without a backup. I've ruined the back by being for god damned clumsy with accidentally banging it up against walls. But it still sounds good and plays nicely.

The action was way to high when I got it, so I reset it fairly effortlessly with the Tune-O-Matic bridge. I had to adjust the pick-up slightly too, but that was just me playing around with them so no biggie. Everything else was fine. The tuning pegs were also fairly loose so I just tightened them up. The pick up selector is also quite noisy too. You can here the clicking sound through your amp a mile away. The only thing now is one of the tone knobs are super loose which I need to fix. The finish is like a greyish/black tigerwood.

Tom Lee Music Canada has it's own series of guitars called MRW (Music Research Works) made in Korea I do beleive. This model is a Les Paul copy model and is one of few models they make (mostly Gibson models). It was made in 2004 or 2005. It has the standard 22 medium rosewood frets. It is a solidtop, and I'm not quite sure what the body wood is. The body style is; like I said a Les Paul, and it has a Tune-O-Matic bridge. The electronis are passive. There are 2 volume and 2 tone knobs and a 3-way selector. It has 2 nickel humbuckers. And I got this guitar with a cheap gig bag.

^Slash^
    I would too. It was my first guitar. But I replaced with Ep Elitist.
    rokimpo556
    I went to that shop it was on sale for $79.99!!! Instead of this guitar I think I'll go buy Ibanez or Gibson. Great Review