MM John Petrucci Signature review by OLP

OLP: MM John Petrucci Signature

Purchased from: Local Guitar Shop

I play a wide range of music am mainly focus on classic rock and blues lately. The pickups sound a bit muddy and are soon to be changed. I play this through a Zoom multi effects pedal or an Electro-Harmonix Big Muff and usually through a Fender Champion 30DSP. With the stock pickups you can really get any sound you want but it's most at home when it's used for metal/shredding types of music. For a pair of stock pickups on a guitar of this price these are some of the very best I have heard.

This guitar can handle the music I play very well, but as I said before it feels most comfortable with metal etc. I have been playing for about 7/8 years now and have played numerous higher end guitars that I feel this guitar could comfortably compete with. It's very lightweight which will probably be the first thing you notice if you actually play one and it has trouble staying in tune when the whammy bar is used. Since I don't really use it I don't have to deal with this problem though. The weight of it I find is an advantage rather than making it feel cheap. I looked around for a guitar that looked good that I could upgrade but with this very little really needs to be done. The quality for the price is what really blew me away and I am more than happy with it. If it were stolen or lost I would definately not hesitate about buying another one. Better pickups and maybe a locking trem and this would be hard to tell from the musicman version.

This guitar hasn't been played live yet. Once the pickups are changed it probably will. It definately seems like it will wistand live playing with no problems. I would feel comfortable using this without a backup. The finsih, to me anyway, looks as though it will last a good while. It's had its fair share of knocks and bumps and still looks like new.

The intonation was way out but it wasn't a huge problem. The action was low and perfect and the pickups were adjusted pretty much perfectly. The finish was flawless and looks very nice. I can't really fault it here at all.

This is a John Petrucci Signature guitar by OLP. When placed side by side with a musicman it is astounding at how similar they are, with this version havnig a slightly smaller neck. As far as I know this was made in 2004. It has 2 jumbo frets and the neck is very thin which is ideal for shredding and fast guitar playing. The neck is maple and the body is basswood. The finish on mine was a red pearl burst and this was the first thing that really attracted me to the guitar. It has a tremolo (non-locking) bridge, 2 direct mounted OLP humbuckers, a 3-way selector Switch, 1 volume and 1 tone knob, chrome hardware and locking tuners. Along with the guitar came a very decent case, the typical tools, a strap and some plectrums. With all the accessories and the quality in relation to the price I have to give it full marks here, brilliant for the price, great value.