MM John Petrucci Signature review by OLP

OLP: MM John Petrucci Signature

I play mainly prog/instrumental metal/rock although I have a strong penchant for blues. As it came the guitar sounded very good for cheap pickups if lacking a bit in depth especially with higher gain lead sounds or clean work. I swapped 'em for a Steve's special at the bridge and an air Norton in the neck position and it just sounds awesome. The unplugged ring off the guitar is very good as well. With these pups in the guitar about the only sound I can't get straight off the bat is a nice Strat neck tone, but the GT8 I have soon sorts that out. For all other work it is very useable. Rating below is for standard pickups.

For my style it's a great guitar for very little cash, make a couple of small changes and spend another 150 on it when you can for pups and you'll have a stunning guitar for very little cash. Btw I'm playin through a Boss GT8 and a Fender performer for practise/Mesa F50 for live. Cheers and good luck.

The guitar will be fine for live work although personally I have set the trem so as it is flat on the body because its not very stable for tunning and the tunners themselves are total crap, replace as soon as. Don't expect the finish to be great after a year or so though.

Out of the box it needed 15 mins to get the action sorted out but after that no probs. I can't get the action quite the way I would like it which isn`t to be honest very low as I like to get under the stings in bends so if you are looking for mega low action try a few to see which one works for you. The paint finish is very nice but the body dents very easily as I found out to my dissmay. The routing inside is a mess and has no finish at all and around the pickups and trem are a bit shabby but you have to bear in mind how incredibly cheap this guitar is for what you get and none of the aforementioned problems stop it playing well.

Made in 2005, 24 frets with basswood body, maple neck. Red pearl burst finsk which is very attractive if not very robust and a Vintage style non locking trem, locking tuners, 3-way selector and 1 vol 1 tone. Twin humbuckers finish the gig off.