MM John Petrucci Signature review by OLP

OLP: MM John Petrucci Signature

Purchased from: GAK

This guitar suits my style of music which is generally shred like Petrucci, Vai, Satriani etc. I play it straight into my 15 watt Marshall amp. The sound is fairly good to say how cheap it, although the sound tends to get a bitty muddy when playing with the neck pickup on the first few frets, especially with heaps of distortion on there. There is also lots of feedback when the guitar is played loud but its nothing that can't be handled. I've given it a 9 taking into consideration the price it comes at, it will never compare to the Music Man version but thats why theres the price difference I suppose.

The guitar is very good for any sort of metal music, this is my first electric guitar but I have played a Music Man Petrucci, and while this guitar will never compare to that guitar I feel that anybody on a budget that wants something that looks like the real deal to buy this as the sound quality is pretty good for the price. If it were stolen I would probably look for a different guitar with a Floyd Rose on as this trem' is not really suited to my style. I was originally going to purchase the OLP axis copy but I felt that the overall quality of the John Petrucci model was better.

I have never gigged this guitar but I'm sure it would stand up to it, the strap buttons are a bit small but thats nothing a Dimarzio strap or some strap buttons won' fix. The finish seems to be doing alright it's had a few knocks but no paint has chipped off so far. I probably would gig this without a backup because I think it would stand up to it but taking 2 guitars wouldn't hurt.

I don't know what the set-up was like straight out of the box as a friend got it for me and set it up so I don't know but it was amazing when I recieved it. The body is carved in certain places to a dynamic to it and they are spotless no ruff edges in sight, the paintwork is all intact and looks wonderful. The tuning pegs are solid at the top I've had no problem with mine, except when I dive bomb the trem' but that's what I expect with a non-locking trem' I suppose.

I think my OLP guitar was made in 2004 in china but I'm not 100% sure. It has 24 jumbo frets on a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard. The body is made out of basswood and is finished of in a nice red pearl burst as the manufacturer's put it. It has two OLP humbuckers and has a non-locking tremolo. The pickups are governed by a master tone and master volume controls. It also comes with a case, strap, picks, cable, and a poster.