MM John Petrucci Signature review by OLP

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
OLP: MM John Petrucci Signature

It has a nice sound going through a Roland Cube 15w. I like to use distortion, and the kind of music I bought this for is mainly blues and rock; Steve Vai and Stevie Ray Vaughan being my favourite guitarists. There's quite a lot of variety in the guitars tone. The neck pickup sounds completely different from the bridge pickup. The guitar is not so noisy. It also stays in tune quite well.

I own a cheap classical guitar, which I used to play quite much. I want to play mostly blues and rock. The next time I will buy a guitar, I will check where it's made and such myself, because the salesman didn't know what he was talking about: OLP is not owned by Fender and it's not made in China! If it were stolen I wouldn't get it again, in fact I wouldn't get anything by OLP. They're pretty guitars and they sound good; the quality is worthless, eventhough I might've had bad luck, but I wouldn't risk getting another crappy-quality guitar. No wonder OLP retired. I wish it had decent quality. I was really happy and it sounds great, so if you do want to buy one, make sure it has waranty and try to see if they can check the electronics for you. Wasting 250 bucks is no fun.

The strap buttons are actualy great, I don't think the strap will ever fall off. I guess I just had bad luck because my tone knob died. But I don't think you should bring this anywhere without a backup guitar. The finish looks like it'll last a long time...

As a beginner, I'm not sure about how well it's set up and such. What I can tell, however, is that when I got it it worked perfectly fine and I was real happy, but after 3 days, the toneknob got looser and looser and eventualy broke. The guitar now does nothing at all, it gives no more sound, on none of the pickups.

I don't know when it was made, but I know it was made in China. (Eventhough the salesman told me it was Korea...) It has a nice look and a nice feel. It has 2 humbuckers, 3-way selector, a tremelo and a red-burst finish. A gig bag and cable were included, aswell as a poster. I got it for my 18th birthday.

whencowsfart101
    Lavatain
    whencowsfart101 wrote: why is this model discontinued now? is this model actually any different from the musicman one (except for the price)?
    yeh, the music man has better pickups, two volumes, a tremolo that doesn't detune horribly, more carefully made in the factory and various little things
    ironwolg
    earnie ball has released another guitar called the Sterling JP50 that i will be getting soon. it's basically the same thing as the musicman just without all the fancy electronics. the tremolo probably isnt' as good and neither are the pickups but those can be replaced without too much trouble