MM John Petrucci Signature review by OLP

• Reviewer's score: 6.2 Neat
OLP: MM John Petrucci Signature

Purchased from: RIFF Music Shop

I play my OLP through a 30 Watt Peavey Vypyr (at home) and a Marshall JCM2000(at band practices). The only effects I use are Blackstar HT-DISTX Distortion Pedal. I play mostly Metal (Metallica, Pantera, Slayer sound) and I have to say that the guitar is pretty good with almost anything I throw at it. Although saying that pick-ups are a little too bassy for my liking (both neck and bridge p-ups) and if I don't turn the bass down a notch on my amp, it takes over the sound slightly. Other than that, both distorted and clean sounds are pretty rich and... Not noisy (doesn't buzz or anything like that).

Overall this guitar suits my guitar playing pretty well. I'm still a beginner, been playing for just over a year, but this light body, beautifully cut neck and cutaway make my learning hell of a lot easier! As I said I play mostly metal, but some clean and jazzy/bluesy tones come up every now and again. This guitar nails them ALMOST beautifully, if not the cutting through bass sound this guitar would be by far the best sounding beginner-to-intermediate guitar... PERIOD. Compared to some other guitars I tried in this price range, cheap LTDs, INDIE, BC Rich, this guitar is pretty amazing, althought finnish quality could be a lot better. It's probably not the best, but one of the better ones. I wish the electronics in this guitar were a bit higher quality, and that the bridge was either a locking trem, or a trem that stayed in tune if you used it. But you can't have everything I suppose... Not for 200 quid. If some one stole it (or if I lost it) I'd probably save up for a slightly better guitar, but I'd buy it again later on and probably replace some parts and have it a 'fun' guitar.

I've played one gig with this guitar, and quite a few band practices with no back up, so from that I'd say this guitar is pretty durable and reliable. As I said though, I had some problems with the electronics, all the knobs started messing up, my toggle snapped and my jack input stopped working, but it might have been my fault. Also, the bridge isn't too good. Every time I used it, guitar goes out of tune... So I stopped using it. I might replace the bridge for a locking trem, if'll decide to upgrade this guitar a bit. I rate it a 6. This guitar is reliable and durable, but if one thing goes wrong with it, everything else tends to follow it. So I'd bring a replacement, If you're lucky enough to have one.

I bought this guitar 2 years ago and I was a complete and utter noob to the guitar business, so I can't really remember how the action was, but I think it was set up pretty well...? Pick-ups, as I said, are a little too bassy for my liking. I might lower them a bit so the bass doesn't cut through as much. Also, after a while both knobs got a bit loose and broke, so I replaced them with american ones and had them fitted in properly, hopefully that will last a bit longer.

Guitar made in 2004 in China (as far as I know), Although a lot (probably most) of the electronics are Korean (apparently). Main features: Basswood body Maple neck Rosewood fingerboard 2 black humbuckers (stock OLP) Sealed, die-cast locking tuners Heavy mass trem bridge 24 jumbo frets Chrome hardware 25-1/2" scale 1vol/1tone/3-way toggle controls OLP JP Signature Model is bacically cheaper version of the MusicMan John Petrucci Signature line. Included an OLP Strap, (Bass O_o) picks and Gig bag, and a John Petrucci signed poster.