U.K.II review by Ovation

Ovation: U.K.II

Purchased from: Pyramid Guitars

I play alot of metal, But I also play older things like Hendrix, AC/DC, And Cooper. For the older stuff this guitar is great. But for the metal it sounds like a bunch of feedback and stuff that you don't want. It can have a bright sound or a deeper sound depending if you have the pickups on the front or back. It can do most things that don't involve alot of grundge. I play mine through a 150 Watt Line 6 Spider. I use it through clean, and distortion the most. With palm muting its great. The sound is best for the year it was made.

This is a great piece overall, it does me good most of the time except when I get real grundgy. I would most likely replace it if I could find one, It is worth about $800, but my dad got it at a pawn shop for $300. Its a great piece and don't plan on getting rid of it anytime soon.

This guitar defintaly can take live playing. My dad has played it live for years and I have once or twice. The hardware has lasted 20 years and I defintaly think it can last 20 more. The starp top button is not the best but past that. I can definatly can depend on this instrument, no back up needed. And unless I'm changing the tuning I can leave the tuner at home.

I never played this factory set up, when I got it it was already set up. The pickups are adjusted very well. There are not very many flaws if any at all. One thing I don't like is the top strap holder does not hold the strap very well. But past that there is no other flaws.

Ok, I'm reviewing the Ovation UKII. My dad gave it to me as my first guitar. Mine is very well playing, its an extended neck, black painted just great. Mine in particular happens to have speed knobs like a les paul instead of the Ovation knobs. But its a really great piece. It has a hard shell case, it has 2 "lipstick" pickups. It is all bronze hardware. The body is that of a Les Paul. It was suppose to be a Ovation trying to improve the less paul. I really like how I can switch the pickups, ther is a switch next to the pickups that if I put them back they sound like a Strat, And forward they sound like a paul. It was made in 1980. It has a black finish that looks great on stage.

ubit397
    Flying Couch
    ubit397 wrote: Re: review by jrk_beast... "It was suppose to be a Ovation trying to improve the less paul." Is that supposed to be some kind of a joke? LOL! They should have tried ALOT harder. Granted, it is a totally unique, vintage axe and it's worth it's weight for that reason alone, but I've played one before and it wasn't terribly impressive. My first guitar was an Ovation Celebrity. I got it for Christmas when I was 15. It had 1 humbucker and 2 single coils, sort of a super Strat. Aside from the Ibanez GIO, it was the worst guitar I've ever played.
    What does that have to do with the UK II? He's still kind of wrong though, their Les Paul competitor was the GP; the UK II was a pretty original design. Anyway. As I said in my previous comment, I wrote the first review. I got a Vox AC4TV a few days ago, and while A/Bing it with numerous guitars, I noticed something about the UK II: it is a REALLY dark guitar. It's tone is darker than any other I've ever played.
    jrk_beast
    i Made a mistake this is does NOT have lipstick pickups this it has humbucking. and it was trying to model and improve the Les Paul.