U.K.II review by Ovation

Ovation: U.K.II

Purchased from: Friend

I play a variety of music from jazz to blues to metal, rock, and almost everything. It is honestly the best with Jazz, but that is the one that I play most. It sounds terrific with the style along with all the other styles that I play. It's the universal guitar! I'm running it through a Epiphone Valve Standard, and a Fender Mustang III. I'm not using any pedals other than a compressor, and a the effects that the amp has built in. It is a very nice warm tone on both amps, and it is very relaxing to listen to. It is a very rich tone, and it has a lot of energy to it. It is very good for tapping, bends, and slides along with regular playing. It sounds excellent on the very high and low frets. Also it makes a wonderful sound when it's unplugged in the form of a acoustic. NO, it's not a hollow or semi-hollow body, but the way it's shaped, it can be transformed into an acoustic in a very quiet room with a pick.

It is a wonderful match for anyones music style. I have been playing for 4 years now, and have progressed very rapidly. I have 4 guitars, and it is my most favorite among all of them. It came with a hard case, and is very good in traveling, weather in the car or the plane. If it was stolen, or lost I would be very mad, and would hunt down the person who stole it, and buy a new on if I couldn't find it. But I would look till I found it. I love everything about it. It has 2 inputs, nice bridge, wonderful shape, amazing pickups, and gold plating. I dislike nothing about it, and if you find one no matter how much it is, buy it. You will never regret that purchase. I would compare it to any other Ovation solid body, however each one has it's own tone. So pretty much it is in it's own class.

The reliability of this guitar is amazing. As I said, it had some dings and it held up with those dings fairly good, and is fixed properly. It is not as durable as it was a while ago, but it has a lot of life, and muscle in it if you treat it right. I would, and have used in a gig with-ought backup. It holds in the strap well, and I don't have to worry about it. The finish is wonderful, and will never wear off because it is a solid jacket of coating. The gold on the hardware is coming off, only on the pickups, but I will have it re-plated and I take care of it so that no more comes off.

I got this guitar from a friend, and it was already setup properly. Very sadly, it was dropped twice because someone knocked it down for me. I took it to a man who fixes guitars privately both times, and it was fixed, and fixed properly. The pickups, action, neck was checked both times I took it down there, and they were perfect.It doesn't have any flaws from the manufacturer, but the cracks are from me, and the previous owner. I was lucky with this guitar, and the fretboard not reworked was perfectly new, however the body was cracked. Some probably bought it as a show piece and didn't know how to play it of take care of it. It is a wonderful guitar other than those issues.

I have a black Ovation UKII, which stands for Ultra Kamen 2. It was hand made in the U.S.A. In 1979. It has 24 normal frets made from abalone. It has a ebony fretboard that is perfect, along with a creme fretboard liner. This is a very interesting guitar because it is made of urelite foam, and a aluminium frame. It is fairly light, and is very easy and comfortable to play for long periods of time. It is more of a PRS body, combined with a telecaster. It is extremely comfortable, and is very easy to adjust to. It has a Schaller bridge, and it has passive electronics. It has 2 tone and 2 volume knobs that each have a gold cap on the top. The bridge, and all the hardware is gold plated. It has a 3 way toggle, and it has 2 tone switches on the top of the pickups. The pickups are wrapped 10, 000 times, and are among the best pickups of ANY guitar that I have ever heard, of played. It has 2 Ovation designed humbucking Blade pickups. It a; so has Schaller sealed tuners.