Flying V review by Panache

• Reviewer's score: 5 Decent
Panache: Flying V

Purchased from: musicianlovers [eBay vendor]

It's a Flying V, I bought it thinking maybe this might be a Diamond in the rough. It's not... The only good thing about this guitar is the cleans. They can be really clean. But it has the muddiest distortion I've ever heard. The body is super light, there's no sustain at all. The bends will always detune your strings. It's frustrating. I give this a 4, and I give it a rating that high only because of the cleans.

I play metal mostly. Not that "hardcore" stuff, but more industrial. I.e. Marilyn Manson, Slipknot, things of that nature. This guitar isn't good for any of it. I've never used it for anything but some cleans ever once in a while. I bought it because I wanted a Flying V, but didn't have a few hundred to drop on an Epiphone, and I'm not a big fan of the Dean VX's that're the same price. In hindsight, I wish I would've bought the Dean instead because almost anything sounds better than this... If someone stole this, They'd be doing me a favor. The ONLY nice thing about this guitar, is it looks really nice. It's very pretty. I enjoy looking at it, but I don't buy equipment just for it to sit in a corner. This guitar gets a 5. It barely qualifies as a beginner guitar. It wouldn't last as a backup. I'm sure it'd be nice if you upgrade a few things [EVERYTHING...] with some other upper class cheapy parts like GFS, but I don't feel like upgrading something I want to mess with. I guess you get what you pay for.

I had this guitar for a month before the neck got busted. The paint is thin and chips. It dents easily. The strap buttons are in poorly placed position. It's always off balanced. I've busted a tuning peg ironically while detuning the string. The tuners are garbage. I would never gig with this guitar. This IS the backup guitar. Hell, this is the guitar you buy to smash multiple times in bar shows. Not sure why I'm rating it a four, but any lower than that would just be mean.

Action was fine. It didn't need a setup. The pickups though, were almost inside the guitar they were so low. I took the pickgurd off, and the cavity had markings where the wood was shaved off, and there was no shielding at all. The pickup selector is so loud. It's louder than the pickups.

An alpine white Flying V body guitar. - 22 frets, with dot inlays. - Bolt-on, natural no finish neck. - claims to have a rosewood fingerboard. - chrome hardware. - 2 humbucking pickups. - 2 volume, 1 tone. - 3 way toggle with a black knob. - 2 ply pickgaurd, white, black, white. No accessories, even though it was supposed to come with a strap. Everything's pretty standard, and its essentially a knock off Gibson.

Noreee
    Red Robster
    Not to sound like an ass but what can you expect to get for $150? And most new guitars now a days are not set up in any kind of way, even when you spend hundreds of dollars you will be lucky if it doesnt need to be set up in some way (intonation, action, pickup height, etc).
    rv_phoenix
    Noreee wrote: I can't really tell fro sure, but the picture makes the neck contour look terrible. The fretboard looks so deep into the body of the guitar.
    Not at all. It's a copy of the reissued Flying V, appeared in 1968, and that one looks exactly like this.
    Jackie Lawless
    the neck is slightly deeper in the body than i prefer. and you can clearly tell by the picture that the bridge/tailpiece is misaligned by a good margin.