Flying V Review

manufacturer: Panache date: 11/07/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Panache: Flying V
It's a Flying V. The only good thing about this guitar is it looks really nice and its cleans.
 4.2
 3.4
 1,270
review (1) pictures (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Flying V Reviewed by: Jackie Lawless, on november 07, 2011

Purchased from: musicianlovers [eBay vendor]

Features: An alpine white Flying V body guitar. - 22 frets, with dot inlays. - Bolt-on, natural no finish neck. - claims to have a rosewood fingerboard. - chrome hardware. - 2 humbucking pickups. - 2 volume, 1 tone. - 3 way toggle with a black knob. - 2 ply pickgaurd, white, black, white. No accessories, even though it was supposed to come with a strap. Everything's pretty standard, and its essentially a knock off Gibson. // 7

Sound: It's a Flying V, I bought it thinking maybe this might be a Diamond in the rough. It's not... The only good thing about this guitar is the cleans. They can be really clean. But it has the muddiest distortion I've ever heard. The body is super light, there's no sustain at all. The bends will always detune your strings. It's frustrating. I give this a 4, and I give it a rating that high only because of the cleans. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was fine. It didn't need a setup. The pickups though, were almost inside the guitar they were so low. I took the pickgurd off, and the cavity had markings where the wood was shaved off, and there was no shielding at all. The pickup selector is so loud. It's louder than the pickups. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I had this guitar for a month before the neck got busted. The paint is thin and chips. It dents easily. The strap buttons are in poorly placed position. It's always off balanced. I've busted a tuning peg ironically while detuning the string. The tuners are garbage. I would never gig with this guitar. This IS the backup guitar. Hell, this is the guitar you buy to smash multiple times in bar shows. Not sure why I'm rating it a four, but any lower than that would just be mean. // 4

Overall Impression: I play metal mostly. Not that "hardcore" stuff, but more industrial. I.e. Marilyn Manson, Slipknot, things of that nature. This guitar isn't good for any of it. I've never used it for anything but some cleans ever once in a while. I bought it because I wanted a Flying V, but didn't have a few hundred to drop on an Epiphone, and I'm not a big fan of the Dean VX's that're the same price. In hindsight, I wish I would've bought the Dean instead because almost anything sounds better than this... If someone stole this, They'd be doing me a favor. The ONLY nice thing about this guitar, is it looks really nice. It's very pretty. I enjoy looking at it, but I don't buy equipment just for it to sit in a corner. This guitar gets a 5. It barely qualifies as a beginner guitar. It wouldn't last as a backup. I'm sure it'd be nice if you upgrade a few things [EVERYTHING...] with some other upper class cheapy parts like GFS, but I don't feel like upgrading something I want to mess with. I guess you get what you pay for. // 5

Comments