P44 review by Parker

Parker: P44

Purchased from: ebay

I play a wide range of music, from rock to blues to country. Use a Vox AC15 for the mags, and a Roland accoustic amp for the piezo. This guitar has great sound, and a very wide range of sounds. The dual humbuckers sound very good, although an upgrade would improve it. The piezo gives a very good accoustic tone. Blending them gives a real depth and shimmer to your sound. Pretty much any guitar tone you want is in there waiting for your skill to bring out.

You can play any music you want on this guitar. It is very flexible. I take it on the road with me and never need to use a backup. I did replace the Standard tuners with grover locking tuners. The Standard grovers are very good, but with a lot of trem use they can go out of tune. So the locking tuners helped that and make string changes a lot faster. This would be a great guitar for anyone, for any type of music.

Everything is rock solid on this guitar. I had one of the pickups go out soon after I acquired. I called Parker and they gave me a local place to take it for warranty repair. This place ended up being closed so I called back and they suggested Sweetwater since it is only an hour from my house. They fixed it within a week and I was back on the road. Both Parker and Sweetwater were very helpful. Since then I have banged it around quite a bit with no issues.

Guitar action was a little high when I received, but it had been slightly used as a store demo model and I think it was due for a tune up anyway. I replaced strings and spent a couple of hours doing the setup and got a quite low setup with no buzz and very good intonation. I'm sure a new from factory would be much closer to ideal. Finish is beautiful and flawless. Neck seated so well you can't slide a playing card into the neck joint. Neck is so easy to adjust with adjust wheel on body end.

Mahogany body, bolt on maple neck with ebony fingerboard, 2 humbuckers, piezo bridge, pickup, vibrato bridge, grover 18:1 tuners, active preamp, mags and piezo can be summed mono or split stereo, mag volume, piezo volume, single tone control which pulls, up to activate single coils in mags with hum cancelling. Gig bag, stereo cable included. Really a 9.5 rating, would have given it a 10 if it had dual tone controls, and locking tuners, but maybe I'm too harsh for the price.

RenegadeDave
    aurian4parker wrote: god, that guys a metalhead. im not trying to be rude, well...yes i am. because he hasn't played a parker. i have a p-44. and im played a soloist. i'll tell you. parkers play much better than any jackson ive played man. dont say your jackson plays better if you havent played the parker. you listen to dimebag man. obvious metalhead. the parker is for people who have a variety of taste in music. not for the type of guy that likes to go to guitar center and show off his sweeps on a crappy peavey XXL. im just saying. those two guitars are not comparable. parker: parker alnico stinger pickups(active), (and my parker, the first gen.) has a wilkinson trem, grover tuners, piezo acoustic pickup, coil tap. and a bunch of other features. where as the jackson is just simple, shred. with, die-cast tuners, a jt390 bridge, and some EMG's. too plain and "metal" for most parker users taste. parker players are unique, and are usually very technical and skilled players. not just the type to consantly shred in the chromatic scale. bam
    This guy sounds like the type of guy that would drive a hybrid on southpark. You could have just said. "The type of player typically attracted to Parkers are usually have more depth to their musical taste while those who prefer a Jackson typically are more centered on one genre, namely metal".
    Tyler Durden
    dimebag7 wrote: I garauntee that my jackson slsmg soloist is better!
    I guarantee you didn't pass Grade 12
    eat_sleep_music
    Sirwinston89 wrote: Does this have a locking nut? I've heard lots of different comments, some saying it has and some saying it doesnt. And can these guitars play heavier rock/metal(non death)?
    I play a P-44 and mine does not have a locking nut. I've never heard of one with a locking nut, but it might exist. And yes, they can. They are almost perfect for a southern rock sound and can achieve a solid metal bite. It's not like a Jackson or a Schecter but it will give you what you want. Just flip off the piezo pickup and you're good to go.
    batiboy06 wrote: what are those 2 switches for??
    One switch is the normal ryhtym and lead switch. The other takes you from the piezo pickup to the regular one. IF you don't know about the pieazo pick-up, google it. It's cool. It sounds like an acoustic electric comin through your speakers.
    Ali-b912
    parkers can do everything. jackson soloists are good, but cant do anything that isnt distorted. parkers can do everything and then some.
    munkyRobb
    theres one in my local cash converters (pawn shop for americans) for 200 worth getting?
    Hired Goon
    I'm getting one today for $350 Canadian. Unfortunately it doesn't have the Parker tremelo, but rather the cheaper bolt on one. Might upgrade to Sperzels, as some guys have done.
    weretarantula
    aurian, honestly do you have any idea what you are talking about? Go listen to the Tornado Of Souls solo by Megadeth. Marty Friedman played that on a Jackson not a Parker. Now if you are really so 'technical' play that. Once again listen to the solos in Mr. Crowley by Ozzy Osbourne. Randy Rhoads played that on a Jackson. Those two songs have some of the most technically challenging pieces in them. Yes I know they were both played on RR's not Soloists but my point is you generally referring to metalheads and 'untechnical' and to just use the chromatic scale is completely idiotic. I have nothing against anyone who plays a Parker, I play a Fender Telecaster, a Dean Razorback and a Hagstrom Viking so versatility is key don't get me wrong. Just don't go around branding everyone to be crap because they dont play a Parker, because chances are you couldn't outplay them if your life depended on it.