PDF100 review by Parker

Parker: PDF100

Purchased from: eBay

I play quite a lot of different music. I play a lot of metal, like Death, Killswitch Engage, Children Of Bodom, etc. I also like to play a lot of other stuff like Journey, Paul Gilbert, John Mayer, Dream Theater and Eric Clapton. Having both humbucker and single coil sounds enables me to play all of that on this guitar. The coil splitting gets a little noisy with a lot of gain, but of course that's totally normal. The custom custom sounds great for playing metal. It's not super high output, like the Duncan Distortion, but the clarity is great. The '59 in the neck is great for clean sounds. You can cover just about anything with this guitar.

As I mentioned earlier, I play a lot of different music. From Pop to Death Metal. With the coil splitting ability and the great sounding humbuckers, you could literally do anything with this guitar. This makes the 8th guitar I own at the moment. The last few guitars I bought have been more suited toward metal - an LTD MH-1000, and an LTD EC-1000. Those are great guitars, but I just wanted something more versatile. I found myself only using those guitar for certain songs. I have a few other guitars - 2 Ibanez RG's - A Prestige RG1570 and a Premium RG921. A PRS SE245, and Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro, and an American Fender Strat. I love this guitar so much, I've already talked to the seller about buying another one in the black burst color, and selling one of my other guitars. I love EVERYTHING about this guitar. I wouldn't change anything. Its beautiful, lightweight, and can do anything you want it to do. It sounds great with a Peavey 6505+ Head! I've been playing for about 10 years, and I've played a lot of guitars, and I can honestly say, this has been one of the best, if not the best guitar I've ever played. Do NOT hesitate to get this guitar without playing it first. I don't see Parker guitars around a lot, mainly due to their unique look and high price point - but I think you'll really love this guitar. Video from YouTube:

YouTube preview picture

While the guitar has finish issues, it still seems pretty solid. I did put some strap locks on this guitar. Its the only guitar I've had where the upper horn strap button is BEHIND the horn, rather than at the tip of it, like most Strat style guitars. Because the guitar is so thin, the screws that come with strap locks will go right through the horn. So I had to grind the screw down to about half length to ensure it wouldn't pop out the other side. It doesn't affect anything though. Just a minor modification! I would never play a show without a backup. Too much of a risk I think. But I would play a whole set with this guitar without a doubt. It's so versatile it could easily cover anything I would need.

I made only one adjustment to this guitar when I got it - the strings. It came with 9's, and they're just too thin for me. I bounce between 10-46 and 11-49 depending on the guitar. I strung this up with 10's and I like it much better. The action was great, the pickups were leveled perfectly, the intonation was great. I didn't do anything to it besides change the strings. The finish is where this guitar really falls flat. I notice this guitar has 2 pretty significant flaws on it. It's not anything that can be fixed, because it appears there were gashes/chunks out of the wood before they applied the finish. You DO NOT notice it just looking at. You have to feel around and really look in a well lit area to notice them. However I'm surprised a guitar like this made the cut in QC. I have an Indonesian made Ibanez, and that guitar was flawless. So I don't know what happened. It's a little disappointing. Mostly because I'm worried they let it out of the factory. But it doesn't affect the way it plays, or the way it looks.

Up for review is a Parker PDF100. This guitar was made in August of 2012 out of Indonesia. This is part of Parker's import line of more affordable guitars. It's got 22 frets on a very wide and flat ebony fretboard. This finish is absolutely beautiful. Parker calls it Vintage Quilted Sunburst. It's definitely one of the best looking guitars I've ever seen. It has the MaxxFly body shape. It's not as odd looking as the ir regular fly series, which I've always been a fan of. It's got an updated upper horn, which still looks cool. One of my favorite features is the trem system. It has the ability to dive and pull, but it has a mechanism in the back that you can tighten/losen to either lock or unlock the tremolo system. Sort of like a tremol-no, but its done with allen wrenches. No more putting blocks of wood in the cavity! It's got sperzel locking tuners, so it stays in tune great. It comes stock with Seymour Duncan pickups. A Custom Custom TB-11 in the bridge, and a '59 SH-1 in the neck. It has a typical 3 way switch configuration. These combined with a coil splitting tone knob makes this guitar extremely versatile. And WOW is this guitar light. It feels like you have a tissue box strapped on. It's incredible.