513 Rosewood review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: 513 Rosewood

Purchased from: Merchant City Music, Glasgow

The sound is excellent. I play a lot of Santana music, the 513 has a rich and full sound which suits this style beautifully. I have an Marshall AVT150H amp and AVT412A half stack. The 5-way pickup selector allied with the 3-way mode selector, give the 513 the versatility of producing a number of subtly different sounds.

I have only been playing for a couple of years now and also own a US Fender Strat, Gibson SG Supreme and Ibanez AT300. However, my 513 is my pride and joy, a beautifully crafted quality item that sounds as good as it looks. If lost or stolen, I would be heartbroken and would definitely order another. Expensive yes, but quality items usually are. I would recommend the 513 to anyone. This is a great guitar.

The 513 is noticeably heavier than my other guitars, but it is of very solid construction. The strap buttons are good and solid with a wide button head for extra safety. The guitar has had no failures of any kind and I play it regularly. The locking tuners ensure that it doesn't go out of tune easily.

Out of its case, the guitar was well set-up requiring no adjustment. The guitar came with no flaws. The standard of the finishing shows very high craftsmanship, from the beautiful crafting of fine woods to the stunning gloss finish.

Purchased new in 2005 and imported from the USA, my 513 has a red body with maple edge and gold hardware. The body, which is a double cut away, has a carved highly-figured maple 10 top and mahogany back. The Brazilian rosewood 22-fret neck is fitted with mother of pearl bird inlays. The headstock matches the neck with inlaid mother of pearl PRS signature and 513 plate. The Electronics consist of 5 proprietary single coil pickups, volume and tone control with 5-way blade pickup selector (treble, treble/middle, middle, middle/base, bass) 3-way blade mode selector (heavy humbucking, clear humbucking, single coil). The guitar is fitted with a PRS tremolo and locking tuners (Grommet style). A good quality rectangular hard case was included.

sweet_leaf_777
    It's funny how many people are so bitter on here. I have tried it a few times and it is a beautiful guitar, and if you have the money then why not? Having said that though, I have a stadard 22 (it was a steal at 1,200 new ) and it is a beautiful instrument with a RRP in the UK of under half that of the 513's staggering 4,700. If you are paying that much then money isn't really a problem, so I would stretch to the PRS archtop, which blows the 513 out of the water, or for the same money try to get a second hand archtop with a good quality amp.
    Pappi
    BLAKK:JAKK wrote: HE ONLY PLAYS FOR 2 YEARS...I BET HE DOESN'T EVEN KNOW WHAT IS A GUITAR... I MEAN...I DON'T NEED MOTHER OF PEARL INLAYS TO SOUND GOOD OR PLAY BETTER..I DON'T NEED BRAZILIAN ROSEWOOD TO FEEL COMFORTABLE... I DON'T NEED A 6000 DOLLAR GUITAR TO PLAY WHAT I LOVE AND HAVE FUN PLAYING IT... YOU WANNA KNOW WHAT I THINK? I PREFER A NORMAL IBANEZ.
    Crybaby.. if you prefer ibanez and he prefers PRS. Then so what???!! F*ck, somebody likes daughters, somebody like mothers.
    Anty 7
    nice guitar man, too bad you didn't explain all the differences between the 13 sounds. I can't get to 13 with 5 single coil combinations and 2 humbuckers with 3 combinations each, that makes 11. What are the last 2????
    bc666 wrote: its also only 22 frets WHY??? all my guitars have at least 24 frets and a bothway tremolo bridge
    who cares about your guitars. First of all the number of frets doesn't change anything (how often do you go up to the 24th on the high E string), I have a Schecter C1 Classic and I probably played that note once. Secondly there are no guitars with more than 24 frets, if there are, I seriously doubt you have one. If by bothway tremolo you mean floating, many people including myslef hate them because they are a pain in the neck to change the strings. timmay21 is probably right, he DID pay the name, but he also bought a magnificent guitar with the manufacturers BEST woods, and woods make a big difference. Try a 2000 dollar strat, than a 4000 dollar one. There'll be one difference: the woods. And woods make an incredible difference. and finally, BLAKK:JAKK please calm down.
    blucrave
    Ive been playing for 5 years and my guitar of choice is a jackson warrior xt. Its only like 300. A great guitar doesnt make you a great player, nor does a crap guitar make you bad. Van halens guitars were home made and didnt cost that much at all
    halffast
    I'm sure that one of the reasons why the guitar costs so much is because Brazilian Rosewood is endangered. It comes from rainforests, and PRS has to go through a LOT of crap in order to import the wood.
    jhalme
    People like you are pretty clueless when it comes to these things, you've obviously never played a guitar like this, because if you had, you would know the difference between a PRS and a "normal ibanez". There's a reason why Santana plays a PRS, and not a 'normal ibanez'. When you pay this much for a guitar, generally you're getting a handmade beauty, and you get what you pay for.
    bs5538
    I can't say that I do want to know what you think, because you obviously missed the point of this. PRS is the way to go if you have the money.
    Pulsoni
    A lot of you have said that youve have seen this guitar for half of the price. In the article he mentioned that his was imported from america. That could be why his costs more (american labor isnt cheap).
    Frosticle
    you've only been playing for a couple of years, yet you have guitars that are worth more than i am?
    DaBlackE
    Which model of Ibanez do you consider "normal"?
    JNFguitarnut
    com on we all know that its a nice guitar but dun u think the companys should start making guitars at a more logical price....6 g's or whatever it is, is a in my opinion and most other peoples as i can see over the top price wise.....but all and all its a pretty sick guitar
    badman86
    well...time to win the lottery and get this guitar, but i still like fender's more ; )
    denis wanic
    no, im guessing 6000 pounds, thats like... 10,500 dollars as he bought it in glasgow, which is in the uk (unless theres another glasgow) yeah, i want one of these so bad!
    In germany that gitar "only"
    OneLastSaluteFW
    he had the money i might finally be gettin a car in a year (i just turned 15) i'd rather spend the money for the car on something i'd spend more time with and if i get a prs, carvin, or any custom shop guitar in that price range, i say screw the car
    Mr.Glue
    6 F!*#ING THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR A GUITAR!!! oh its a bad @$$ looking guitar but HOLY $H!T DUDE 6 GRAND D@MN
    ZoSo.Led.Zep.
    ^Hahaha. Most of us aren't 'bashing' him, just talking about the price. PS - I don't play a 15 watt peavey amp with a squire, you can check my gear out on the Les Paul forum. Cheers, CD
    Ihearthetfield
    to those bashing him go f*** yourselves I HAVE BEEN PLAYING FOR TWO YEARS AND I HAVE A STANDARD STRATOCASTER, AN AMERICAN STRATOCASTER, AND A GIBSON SG WITH 57' CLASSICS WHY DID I SPEND ALL THAT MONEY ON GUITARS? BECAUSE I LOVE FUCKING GUITARS AND I WANT THE BEST TONE YOU F**S BASHING HIM CAN GO F*** YOURSELVES HE CAN BUY WHATEVER HE WANTS YOUR ALL JUST JEALOUS BECAUSE YOUR PLAYING ON A 15 WATT PEAVEY STARTER AMP WITH A SQUIER AND CAN ONLY PLAY SMOKE ON THE WATER
    f1sk
    Ibanezguy350 wrote: BLAKK:JAKK wrote: YOU WANNA KNOW WHAT I THINK? I PREFER A NORMAL IBANEZ. amen
    enjoy a nice dodge neon while the rest of us enjoy bmws or ferraris
    bc666
    i know woods made a difference but cmon 6000$ and i didnt make a remark on the wood
    bc666
    JrabJrab
    I can appreciate where these guys are coming from, but I did get a chance to play one of those and I would say hands down it is the best PRS out there. My hats off to the designer, but not to the one that priced it. But I gotta say if I ever come into to some money that 513 may become a good friend of mind. HA HA!
    Stratmike
    Everyone has a vice whether it be guitars, cars, harleys, booze, smokes, women, etc. If the guy's vice is expensive guitars more power to him. If I could afford a PRS I'd add one to my collection in a minute! Just because you've only been playing 2 years doesn't mean its obscene to treat yourself to an expensive axe.
    6 String Freak
    I must admit the PRS 513's price is a little on the steep side, but it is in my opinion a quality product. I paid 3300 for mine and i still rush home from work to plug it in. I love it.
    tawermeister
    timmay21 wrote: That is too much for a guitar, besides you could've gone throug Carvin & ordered their California Carved Top & got just as nice a guitar (if not better). They will build you a guitar to your specs. Their Price is a hell of a lot cheaper. More expensive doesn't always mean better. You just paid for the NAME.
    I've only been playing for just under a year but i know when im being ripped off for a guitar, i realised here that carvin guitars are actually pretty good value but the option of having an acoustic-electric system really baffled me. Would somebody explain to me what the hell that is!
    nuuur
    PRS guitars aren't hand-made, just insanely overpriced (like many other guitars i can name).. don't fall into their trap, no matter how many pics of luthiers crafting guitars they're showing ya.. btw, ibanez guitars aren't just versatile and durable, they're also very affordable, comparing quality w/ price
    american-psycho
    wouldn't you rather have like that new jackson king kelly 25th anivercairy thats like completly ****ing awesome and is around the same price
    which ones pink
    Ken Robertson wrote: Just to clarify - price = 3500 GBP. US imports to Europe are not cheap. I played guitar as a teenager but unfortunately gave up. Now I am older with a grown-up family I have the time to play again. Thanks for positive comments! I do love guitars. My other guitars are fun - but my 513 is in a different league. You just have to play it for a short while to appreciate the difference. Negative comments I put down to maturity - maybe you guys will change your mind when you are older!
    Amen! ;
    Ken Robertson
    timmay21
    tawermeister I am not completely positive on that. Only some of their guitars come with that. There are 2 input jacks on the guitar. One is the standard electric sound, the other is an acoutic pick up jack which gives you an acoustic sound.
    Klayy
    LOOOOL He is so rich and he a has an AVT150H? Cmon, I dont say that I dont like AVT's, Im one o few who do like them, but a guy who can afford such a guitar? Get an amp mate.
    CodyJuice
    Dude ive been going for like 2 years and i got a squier strat, a takamine acoustic, and a fender 25...damn
    MetalBoy
    PRS 513's aren't too expensive here.. i looked in monthers in calgary.. i think they wanted $5500... so not bad. And there is 2 modes of humbucking on it, heavy and clear. and it still sits with the strat confgur on the 5 way, so i got 13. the only mode that doesnt change through those is the middle only select, which is a signle coil regardless. Beautiful guitar it is, and **** do i want one.
    Mikeeman95
    He must be one rich motherf****r to have all that I've been playing like 7 months and all I have is a Jay Turser Vintage Series with sunburst in colour. I still love it and I think it sounds good but i'm looking for a les paul studio or something
    EatsP1es
    ArcherTheVMan
    black_sabbath85 wrote: looks pretty..plays pretty too i guess .....but 6 ****ing thousand dollars!!!!
    pounds, not dollars it would be more like eat said in dollars. looks damn hot that guitar.
    i8ababy
    No, it is not pounds. I know this may be hard to believe, but some people are capable of converting pounds to dollars. Look it up. Last time I checked, it listed at about $6400. Trust me, $6000 is a believable price.
    nihiole
    I recently purshased a PRS SantanaIII on ebay for $2,300,it was a year old ,one owner. It retails new for about$4,500. It was in mint condition and far exceeds my expectations. I also own a Fender Strat, american, and a Gibson SG, after playing the PRS, it's like going from a Volkswagon to a Lamborgini!!!!
    mikeman
    You have been playing for a couple of years, and you already have all that gear?! You must be pretty busy.
    timmay21