CE 22 review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: CE 22

Purchased from: Total Entertainment

Great sound I had a 2000 Gibson LP Studio that was a great sounding good playing guitar, but I swear by PRS now. Notes are full and defined with any setup I use(Spider valve HD100, Bugera 333, Peavey JSX, Mesa Dual Rec, Laney 4x12 cab, Krank Rev 4x12 cab, Laney 2x12 vertical cab). No noise unlike my SG with a duncan JB. Great single coil sounds too. This guitar can do jazz to metal.

While I play mostly hardcore, Punk, and Metal but this guitar can do anything.I have now owned this guitar for 7 years and play the crap out of it and it is still factory fresh as far as playability, set up, and tone. I have been playing for 16+ years and it don't get any better than this. If it were stolen I would cry, because it would be a long time before I could ever afford a USA made PRS again, and PRS discontinued the CE line in 2008 or 2009, so good luck finding one that isn't beat up that some one will acualy sell you. More people offload the custom 22's more often than the ce 22's. All I was able to compare it to that I had owned at the time of purchase were a late '70's SANOX LP clone(Awesome guitar by the way), 2000 Gibson LP Studio, and a 1996 Squire Teli Pro-Tone(best teli I have ever played), and the PRS trumps all of these. and now years later the CE is still my baby(and I've aquired quite a few guitars since then).

Does any one realy not know how well these guitars are made? This is a perfect 10. I've used this for 7 years at least 4 times a week with never a problem. the stock strap buttons are better than any other company minus strap-locks.PRS means dependability & reliability.

This is a superbly made guitar, I'd be willing to say the most consistantly well made guitars in the world(Gibson's and Fender, ect are hit or miss any more). After 5 years of heavy giging I took it in to my local tech who couldn't belive how low the action was with absolutely no fret buzz, needless to say all he did is polish it and re string it. Now it is not a 10 top, but it is a highly figred top. My only complaint is the trem is not plated well in my opinon(brass is very prevelent now insted of the nickle that was ther when new), but does not afect playability at all.

2002 model bought in 2004 NOS. 22 fret wide-fat bolt on neck. Flamed maple top with a mahogany back. Mine is Whale blue with a black back, it also has no binding on the body like some others I've seen and played. PRS designed trem that stays in tune amsingly well with the locking tuners. 1 volume, 1 tone and a 5 way rotary selector(wich I am trading out for the 3 way toggle swich and push/pull pots). Dragon 2 pick ups which sound awesome to me. And a hard shell case.