CE 22 review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: CE 22

Purchased from: Total Entertainment

This is a tonal monster, big, fat humbuckers with plenty of bite. And the single coil mode is pretty good also. I play a variety of styles, but am more a metal/punk player, and I haven't found a genra that this can't do and sound superior to just about anything else. I use a Bugera 333 into a Krank Rev 4x12 and it is awesome with virtualy no feed back(no noise gate eather). I think the maple neck gives it a snapier(straty) sound but the mahogany body keeps that warm(les paul) quality. The pickups are not overly hot, but will get masive amounts of distortion or be sparkiling clean(I'm not sure, but it seems like my JB equiped SG is a hoter pickup).

This is a very well made guitar, but the price tag is a little hefty for some players. If you try one out chances are you'll be aching to get your hands on one perminantly. I basicly stoped using my Gibson LP after I bought this and sold the Gibson!!(the LP was the guitar I always wanted, until I found out about PRS. If it were stolen I'd cry and cry, because I can't afford another one(well my wife won't let me afford another one!!) If you have the money to throw down I'd recomend one for sure, Deffinately the best guiotar I have ever bought.

This guitar will withstand anything you can dish out(within reason). Everything on this guitar was made to last, my kids kids should have no problem with this in 50 yrs. This is made with the quality and care thet Gibson and Fender just don't do any more. The hare ware is very sturdy and should last for a lifetime of playing. The finish is imaculate(minus the ding I have made) and shows no sign of wearing through after 7 years of constant playing.

I would give PRS the most consistant quality award over any other big manufacture's(Gibson, Fender, ESP, Schecter, ect..). There attention to detail is amazing. The factory set up is amazing it almost plays its self! The maple top although it's not a "10" top, is highly figured and very well bookmached. After 5 years of regular touring and giging as my main guitar I went to have the thing checked out(30,000 mile tune up!) and other than some minor fret wear this was still set up to factory specs!!! And it has been around the country for weeks at a time in a HOT trailer or in a freezing trailer thats a testimate to how high the quality standards are. My only problem is the Bridge finish it started to wear off the nickel/chrome plating after about 1 yr and the sadles are now almost totaly brass, not a problem except astheticly, I wish they would have done a better plating job this is why I gave it a 9.

2002 PRS CE22 made in the USA. Mahogany body witha flame maple cap, 22 fret, maple neck with a wide/fat neck profile, PRS designed locking tuners, PRS designed tremilo, Dragon II pickups. Mine is Whale blue with a black back, no binding like I have seen on other models. 1 volume, 1 tone and a 5 way rotary swich for coil taping and p/u selection(Bridge humbucker, Bridge single coil, Bridge and neck singel coil, neck single coil, and neck humbucker). It also came with a hardshell case.