Custom 22 review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: Custom 22

Purchased from: Local Musician

I play generally everything, and the one thing I miss is coil tapping. If the guitar came Standard with coil tapping, then I would have the one guitar to last a life time. The bridge pick up is perfect for metal, and if you crank the amp's gain, and lower the volume on the guitar, you get perfect crunch for punk, and grunge, and any of those other types of music. I use the middle selection to play most classic rock, and clean because it's got a combonation of the thick neck, and hot bridge to get a warm, bright sound. And the neck pick up. It's perfect for doubling a bass, and it's amazing for blues and jazz. It's got the perfect ammount of twang with thick airy. I'm not sure how to describe it. It's stunning. I rarely use the coil phasing, because I don't like the sound of the coils, they sound to nasaly to me. But that's no problem, because I get by just fine with the three settings. I used a Peavey Valveking 212 by the way.

This guitar is amazing for my style of music, which basically includes music. I've been playing for about a year, but I'm already recording in a band as lead guitarist. I own a Peavey Valveking 212 and a super modified Squier Strat, although only the name is still Squier. If this guitar was stolen, I'd never have the money to replace it, but if I did, I'd isntantly buy another one, although I might upgrade to the 24. I love the versatility of this guitar most. With my amp, and guitar, I can get any sound at all with out using a pedal. I don't like that damn rotary switch, although I'm growing used to it. I was planning on buying a Standard SG, and I chose this because of it's reputation, and because I liked the over all feel of it. As well as the bird enlays as fret markers. I just wish it had bloody coil tapping, and a 5-way blade switch instead of a rotary switch.

The guitar is very reliable, and for the most part durable. I wouldn't be surprised if the hardware lasted longer than me. I had to reset one of my strap locks, but that was my fault as I dropped the guitar on them. Proving once again it's durability, as I dropped it on cement, and there's not a scratch or dent. I play it with out a backup and I've never had a problem, except breaking a 2 month old string. My one complaint is the finish. It's too thin. I know I could dent it with my finger nail if I tried. I figure it will begin to wear off as the years roll on. But I like the look of used guitars, so I wouldn't mind it losing it's finish.

When I got the guitar, it was set up like a god. I instantly felt the proessional set up, and hand crafted custom made neck. The action was very very low, almost touching the frets, but I could still poull off a double bend, and easily hit pinch harmonics. The guitar was in perfect condition, as it was previously owned, but as I could see, it came perfect from the factory too.

This is a 92 or a 94 Custom 22, I'm not exactly sure although I know it's early 90's. It's got 22 easily accessible frets on a rosewood fretboard. The neck is so fast, as I noticed when I upgraded from a Strat. I've played many high end gibsons and fenders, including a Vintage Paul and nothing's played as smooth as this PRS. The finish is a really really nice flamed yellow. I think the actual color is Vintage yellow or tv yellow or something along the lines of that. The basic body shape is like a Strat with one full cut and another half cut with a carved maple top. My only complain is about the electronics. The pickups are ungodly, but in my opinion, there is a little too much difference between the neck and bridge pickups. The original stock pick ups are Dragon I's although the new Custom 22 comes with Dragon II's. The neck pick up is very thick and blusey, almost like an Alnico hot 10. And the bridge is well, hot and fat, great for soloing. It has one volume nob, which I love, one tone, which I'm not so wild about, and one rotary Switch for the pick ups. I don't like the rotary switch. It's too hard to change in the middle of a song, although it can be done if two guitars are playing. I would have perfered a 5 way Switch. Mine has locking tuners, which are absolutely amazing, although the G occasionaly drops tuning. It came with the original case. The case is very protective and very nice, although it is akward and heavy to carry around.

the boogieman
    Kain_Doom01 wrote: classive lol.... Price paid: 0 Purchased from: PRS Through Guitar Center In Atlanta, GA Features: 2002 Paul Reed Smith Custom 22/22 Frets/5 Way Pickup Selector/3 Way Toggle With Coil Tap/10 Top Quilt Finish Whale Blue/Dragon II Pickups/Abalone Bird Inlays All The Works. // 10 Sound: Its a PRS Custom 22 It Sounds Beautiful! The Best Sounding Guitar I Have Ever Heard! // 10 Action, Fit & Finish: Not A Flaw Custom Ordered From PRS. The Action Is Smooth And Fast! // 10 Reliability & Durability: Best Quality Out There! It Will Last Forever! // 10 Impression: Been Playing For Over 13 Years And This Is By Far The Best Guitar I Have Ever Picked Up! // 10 most useless, shortest review ever XD By the UG team too XD I love that XD
    they tend to do that a lot pretty shitty review
    Nightfyre
    subsonic7 wrote: I recently bought a PRS Custom 22 20th Anniversary in trans black, basically the model i always wanted. My other guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Custom (black) with a seymour duncan custom 5 in the bridge. I expected great things from the PRS but when i plugged it in, it just doesn't compare to the Les Paul. The sound just seems to lack richness and tone. Before you say it NO i don't expect a PRS to sound like a les paul but the 'quality' of tone was disappointing in comparison. Don't get me wrong, the build quality and attention to detail is superb, better than any les paul i've played. The Les Paul just FEELS better in every respect to me and gives me the tones i require. So i'm looking to sell my PRS if anyone is interested. Probably looking to buy a les paul premium plus, class 5 or Slash signature model. But hey, if you truly like the sound and playability of a PRS, they're a great guitar. Just too thin, tinny and lifeless for me in comparison to a les paul.
    o_O how much? i'm lookin to buy, i hate my s**tty guitar...
    Artemis Entreri
    You are looking about 2200 for the lowest custom. 500 for a SE, or whatever.I've played them, and they are definitely still PRS. But not as good as a custom one.
    Stratmike
    I just received a Custom 22 stoptail for my 10th anniversary. My wife knew I had been looking at the SE models for the past 6 months, but she went all out! What a fabulous guitar! At my age and having 2 kids I would have never thought of buying this for myself. I play it through a Hot Rod Deluxe and its absolutely phenomenal. The neck is quite smooth and it seems faster than my mahogany Spec. Edit. HSS Strat. Its hard to choose which one to play since I've had the Strat for quite awhile. Anyway... if you get a chance to play or purchase one of these you'll be very pleased.