Custom 22 review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: Custom 22

I play everything from blues and jazz to rock, metal and shred. this guitar covers it all in both playability and sound. It can achieve just about any tone I want. Because of the split coil function it can sound almost like a Strat on some setting but still have that warmth to get a santana tone. it does classic rock well with the bridge pickup. the bridge pickup does well at shred on high gain but it does not have enough bass thump for some metalheads. (fine to me)

Great guitar. Nearly perfect for me. It would be perfect if it had the same pickups but 24 frets. the other problem with this guitar is the price but for something like this it's worth every penny. I love that it is so versitile and I hate that it's amazing finish (inevitably) gets flaws over time. each custom is slightly different and it would be very sad if this guitar got lost or stolen because there would not be another one that is exactly the same.

It seems very reliable but I wont know until I have had it for longer. The side of the fretboard is soft and easy to damage but that effects nothing but the cosmetics. The body itself looks flawless and very glossy which is surprising since it's been sitting in a shop for months.

I got the guitar more than half a year after it came out of the factory and it was mostly in tune and the inotation was perfect. The guitar is beautiful. the black cherry finish is amazing. it did not have any flaws but I put a ding on the side of the fretboard yesterday.

Made in america in march. dragon II pickups with push pull tone knob and three way Switch. 22 fret wide thin neck. (new) bird inlays. black cherry finish. VERY glossy finish. glue on neck. prs tremolo. mahogany body and neck with a maple top and rosewood fretboard. couldnt get much better.

Jadena
    3 way switch. If it only has 2 pickups it cant have a 5 way. smart guy
    Fail.
    berko
    Zakkcd wrote: 3 way switch. If it only has 2 pickups it cant have a 5 way. smart guy
    COIL TAP...
    GB-PRSMan
    I own a teal black Custom 22 with bird inlays and tremolo. The guitar comes with a 5-way rotery switch. You will get some really cool sound from this guitar, but to be honest I really don't like the 5-way rotary switch. I will eventually go to a 3-way/push/pull switch/knob. Peace, -G
    musicaldave
    subsonic7 wrote: I recently bought a PRS Custom 22 20th Anniversary in trans black, basically the model i always wanted. My other guitar is a Gibson Les Paul Custom (black) with a seymour duncan custom 5...
    I know what you mean, my PRS with stock (Dragon II) pups did sound a little brittle and lifeless compared to a good Les Paul. It's partly the price you pay for having a really versatile guitar: it's not a specialist like the Les Paul or the Tele, but then it can do more than just one thing! I was disappointed in my PRS Custom 22 until the day I fitted it with a set of Bareknuckle Mule pickups - totally transformed! Much better balance across the strings, fatter and brighter at once, a whole lot more tone. My advice is replace the horrible Dragon IIs. Ok they're not horrible, just pretty mediocre, and the bass is far too muddy and indistinct imo.
    design8r
    ThomasOlano
    design8r wrote: i picked up this quitar three hours ago and i just cannot stop looking at it, i dont even wanna play it, i just wanna look at hanging on my wall..i am in love
    2nd that