Custom 24 review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: Custom 24

Purchased from: Steve's Music Store Montreal

I play a lot of metal, rock and alternative music and I was looking something with a killer tone with a good distortion but also that could produce something beautiful and clean. This guitar handles both very easily. I am playing through a Line 6 Flextone 3 and it just sings. Upon getting home I sat down for a few hours and played through my favorite songs, it just made every song sound so much better. The sound is clear and crisp with a beautiful warm full tone that is better then anythign I have ever played before, and I've played almost everything. With the Rotary knob, you can produce some truly beautiful and unique sounds.

As I said, I play a lot of Metal/Rock/Alternative and this guitar makes all my music sound better. I have been playing for about 13 years now and I have seen a lot of guitars come and go and always had a longing for a PRS. I've played multiple gibsons, fenders and I always got bored of the sound they would produce or the playability after a few months. I sold a Jackson RR1 and a Gibson SG Voodoo to buy this PRS. I do not regret it at all! If it was lost or stolen, I'd definatly replace it with another CU24. The pros of this guitar, are of course the amazing sound, the looks and the playability. The only thing I'm not too fond of is the rotary knob. It produces some great unique sounds, but it's not very practical. For example If I want to switch from the neck humbucker to the bridge, I have to go from one end of the knob to the last clicking into each position in between. It also is hard to turn when you've been playign for a while and your hands are a bit sweaty.

This guitar as most PRSs seems to be a completly solid build. Everything on this guitar feels solid. Despite the beautiful looks, this thing is a solid guitar that will last you a lifetime, as long as you take care of it. I would be confident to go play a gig and only bring my PRS. The finish seems to be nice and durable, but time will tell.

The guitar was Brand New in box direct from the factory, but it had been in the box for a few months being a late 2006 model. Steve's set it up quickly (10 minutes) and for free for me. Everything was perfectly adjusted, better then some luthiers have adjusted some of my previous guitars. The top is beautifully figured and is pretty close to being a 10top, I was surprised it was not marked as a 10. The guitar has no build flaws that I can see so far, but it is a PRS so you expect perfection and they deliver.

yesterday I finally purchased a PRS guitar. I ended up getting a 2006 CU24 20th anniversary with the birds in flight inlays. The guitar has 24 frets and the regular neck carve. The body and neck are Mahogany and the body has a flamed maple top. The top is Blue Matteo and the back is a clear finish. The guitar has the 5 way rotary selector and the PRS trem with the locking tuners. It also has the HFS and Vintage pickups with one volume and a tone. included with the guitar was a hard case filled with the usual goodies (sticker/manual/keys/etc.) The fret board is a nice smooth rosewood with beautifully inlayed birds in flight.

s/ash
    stueey
    i dont understand how people cudnt like prs customs. gods in the form wood imo.
    McGelie
    In-Jeenyus wrote: Mikael akerfeldt from opeth uses one with a blue tortoise shell finish
    i know, it's ****in awesome. like him.
    guitarist_with_
    s/ash wrote: Just got a custom 24 TEN TOP! They are the greatest thing even A vintage LP black beauty couldn't compare to it
    What planet are you living on..?
    mishall
    hey im pretty set on buying a PRS custom 24, ive played the custom 22 (all the shop had at the time) and i was wondering how "thin" the wide thin neck really is? i dont know if the 22 had the wide thin neck or not i cant remember it did feel pretty decent
    uvq
    bluespunkmetal wrote: Dude, someone up there plugged a PRS into an MG Stack ?? Are you nuts, what a waster of money ?? An awesomely frickin cool PRS won't even show half of its tonal fineese when your playin it through an MG !!! Sell your PRS, buy a good Ibanez, and a Mesa Dual/Single Recto, you won't regret it !!! Or, buy a tube amp today !!!
    if you have an ibanez, you will not sound anything as good as a prs through an mg!!!!
    TiDyCaTT900
    good freakin god these guitars are sooooo nice..if only I had the 500000 dollar price tag they wanted for them lol.
    ZaÐ
    :| are u mad? prs >>>>> ibanez
    tom_martin_123
    Za wrote: bluespunkmetal wrote: Sell your PRS, buy a good Ibanez, and a Mesa Dual/Single Recto, you won't regret it !!! Or, buy a tube amp today !!! :| are u mad? prs >>>>> ibanez
    dont sell ur prs... dont get me wrong thers nothing wrong with an ibanez... i have the sa260fm and its briliant... but please!!!! buy a new amp! it is actualy criminal to play a guitar like this through an amp like that...
    party_on_wayne
    i creamed myself when i played a custom 24 through shitty marshall mg10w. just imagine how much cum i would have in my pants if played through a vintage plexi or jcm 800