Custom 24 review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: Custom 24

Purchased from: Mandolin Bros

I play a lot of different types of music, but I usually play a lot of metal, especially of the djenty progressive or deathcore type (Periphery, Veil of Maya, Born of Osiris, Dream Theater, Animals as Leaders). Traditionally, this guitar is considered to be a rock guitar, but it can do metal just as well as any other of the more traditional metal/shredder type of guitars. But don't get me wrong: it can do so much more than just rock and metal. In fact, I was surprised at the wealth of tones that I could achieve with this guitar. If you roll off the tone slightly to take off some of bridge pickup's edge and adjust the volume knob, you can get a really nice clean tone with a little bit of edge that is really good for a bluesy kind of tone, or if you turn the tone down (to taste) on the neck pickup, you can actually get a really nice...well Joe Pass kind of tone (a pleasant surprise for a Pass listener like me!). I've been using this guitar into a couple different amps and have used it sometimes with a Boss DD-6 and an Ibanez Jemini pedal and it sounds very nice. The pickup selector is actually very quiet and you don't get any of those annoying clicks that you might get with other guitars. Even acoustically, the guitar sounds very nice, and to me, that's an indicator that the guitar, plugged in, is also good.

I've been playing for 7 years now (2-3 years seriously). In the past, I've owned and played a Gibson Les Paul and this completely blows that one out of the water. If it was stolen/lost, I would hunt that poor soul down...ruthlessly and violently. I love basically everything about it and I haven't found anything I hate yet. I guess the only thing I may not love about it is the hell is a little bit chunkier to the rest of the neck, but you get used to it. In trying to buy a new guitar, I was stuck between this and an Ernie Ball Music Man BFR John Petrucci Signature model. I chose this one because the PRS neck just felt a little bit better in my hands and if I was going to be dropping over $2,500 on a guitar, I would prefer if it were not a bolt-on neck, no matter how good it may be. Looking back, I can clearly see that I made the right decision. I can only imagine how much more epic it would sound with a piezo system and perhaps different pickups.

This guitar would most definitely withstand live playing. Just by holding this, I can tell that it's a very solid piece of equipment, so even if I were very clumsy, it would survive for a very long time. The hardware feels and seems to be top-notch quality in terms of durability. The strap buttons are VERY solid and in fact are also quite big (to the point where I can't get my current strap to fit on them). I can definitely depend on this guitar and I would feel safe gigging without a backup with this guitar (partly because I don't have a backup guitar). The finish, as mentioned before, is perfection.

The guitar's factory set-up was surprisingly really good and the action was basically perfect for me. The pickups were adjusted very well and are at the ideal height for me! The flamed 10 top on this guitar is amazing. I haven't dealt much with bookmatching and stuff like so I can't tell you if it's properly bookmatched, but it looks amazing. And if it looks amazing, it's probably because it is. When I got this guitar, it was FLAWLESS. The quality and attention to detail that must have been taken in making this guitar shows. Every fret is filed perfectly, the burst was welldone, no loose screws, no scratches, no oxidizing, nothing loose, etc. This guitar, in terms of action, fit and finish is perfection.

Made in 2010 in the United States of America. This 24 fret guitar with the PRS Wide/Thin neck profile Mahogany neck with a rosewood fretboard and a Mahogany Body with a Flamed Maple "10" Top in Charcoal Black is absolutely amazing. Feature-wise, it's got the Standard volume and tone knobs that are recessed in the guitar so they don't get in the way playing. It is equipped with the Standard PRS Custom 24 HFS (bridge) and Vintage Bass (neck) pickups controlled by a three way Switch with a coil tap that is activated by the push/pull tone knob. The locking tuners are fantastic and the case that came with the guitar is superb (with a very plush, velvety interior, if I might add)!

bazza92
    mafuhungy wrote: HELLSHREDD wrote: My Jackson or Gibson would kik da fuk out of this wanker axe.lmao homo
    +1 lol and to agree with 90% of the people on here, PRS > Ibanez anyday. Ibanez are absolute crap, ANY PRS would kill an ibanez
    RokLobsta
    mafuhungy wrote: f0x_guitarist wrote: so what's the difference between a PRS CE 24 and a Custom 24? i may be wrong but i think its just the cosmetics of it
    The American PRS has locking tuners and a coil splitter where the SE doesn't. Those are the only two non cosmetic differences. I'm not too sure about the stock pickups.
    zzzaaaccc
    I played a blue custom 24 at GC. It was one of the best guitars I've ever played.
    HeadlessCross
    I played a PRS Custom 24 at the local music store yesterday through an Orange Thunderverb 200 amp. I have to say it sounded absolutely amazing and felt very smooth to play. I could achieve almost any sound from brilliant clean to a powerful crunchy overdrive. The guitar really shines when playing a melodic lead (think David Gilmore style solos), it has a unique voice of it's own. I found the Custom 24 truely inspirational and in my opinion it had more character than any guitar I've played around the same price range.