Custom 24 review by Paul Reed Smith

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 10
  • Overall Impression: 10
  • Reliability & Durability: 10
  • Action, Fit & Finish: 10
  • Features: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 10 Gem
  • Users' score: 9.6 (199 votes)
Paul Reed Smith: Custom 24
0

Sound — 10
Everyone has their own sound or desired sound. While I love the Vintage Bass pickup, I'm not a big fan of any ceramic pickup(s) (including the HFS Bridge (again a personal preference)). I've used the Dragon II's or Santana's in my Custom 24's for that reason. While some guys will love the cut through of the stock pickups, I prefer a more Vintage tone. I believe Mesa Boogie's and PRS's were made for each other (like a Tele or Strat & twin are). I have also used my PRS's through a MesaBoogie Rect-o-verb, Mesa Boogie Nomad 100 a Vox AC100CPH, Marshall JCM 900, Fender Twin (Silver Face) and a Fender ProTube Series Twin. All have their own sound, and all very useable. I can get great humbucker sounds or a hint or single coil "quack" when split. If you are a metal player, this is certainly a guitar to consider, as MANY pros use this specific guitar. I like it's versatility, Since I play Classic Rock, Southern Rock, Blues and Jazz, I find the Custom 24 will fit any of these genera very well.

Overall Impression — 10
I've been playing for 39 years (wow?!) I've owned a lot of guitars over those years. I have to say PRS guitars are my first choice 85% of the time. The other 15% I use a Strat or Les Paul just because of their unique tones. Only thing I wish (which PRS did for a couple years) is; allow you to pick your favorite pickups at purchase time. I'm a big fan of the 57/08's or 59/09's, but I'm a Vintage sound guy. The SC245 and McCarty's are also Vintage sounding plus a little. My only complaint is the cost of PRS replacement parts (I haven't had to change any of my own, but I have worked on other musician's gear). If you can afford one of these works of art, by all means a TOP choice among many pros. Although some PRS guitars are so nice looking you hate to take them into a bar to play. Dollar for dollar, I think PRS makes some of the best guitars on the market.

Reliability & Durability — 10
My first PRS Custom 24 = 1992 - 2011 almost 19 years and other than an occasional checkup (action, neck bow, intonation), I haven't had to do a thing to this guitar except keep it clean, change the strings and play it. The 2006, 5 years, same thing. I use Schaller Strap Locks on all my guitars (as soon as I buy a guitar, that's the 1st thing I change).

Action, Fit & Finish — 10
I describe Fit, Finish and Action in the 1st paragraph. I should state that I prefer the Wide/Fat neck or the Standard neck (of my 2006). My 1992 is a Wide/Thin neck (good for lead, hard after a few hours of barre chords if you have a large hand). As far as quality of components; wood, pickups, tuners, etc, If you know PRS guitars at all, you know it's nothing but the best wood, hardware etc.

Features — 10
I have a 1992 and a 2006 Custom 24. Both with 10 tops, Bird inlays. I've switched the 5-way rotary knob to a 3-way & Push Pull pot (on the 2006, personal preference). PRS Locking Tuners, Hard Shell case. One thing I really love about PRS guitars; it's "off the shelf and to a gig" no tweaking required. PRS's stay in tune, the necks are usually dead on (setup wise), pickup heights are properly adjusted, Frets are level (and no overhang off the fingerboard).

3 comments sorted by best / new / date

    nicksword87
    Put a deposit down on a sapphire burst Custom 24. 4 and a half grand... Everything in Western Australia is expensive. This is cheap actually if you look at the ratio of simple items like beer which is over 10 bucks a pint over here. haha.
    xero4161
    Planning on buying one of these soon. oh and Brad delson From Linkin Park as well as Mike shinoda uses these guitars sometimes
    baimo
    buy one and in a week you will realize that you own one of the best guitars ever made. MKy les paul standard is getting lonely from neglect, but that is how good this guitar plays and sounds. unbelievabe