Custom 24 review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: Custom 24

Purchased from: C&M Music, Hattiesburg MS

The guitar suits my playing styles very well. The guitar is extremely versatile, and is like taking the best of Gibson and Fender and combining them into one bada-s guitar. I play a lot of blues, classic rock, and some of today's metal (namely and especially Opeth, whose guitarist Mikael Akerfeldt inspired me to buy the guitar). Right now I'm using the guitar with a Roland Cube 60, with no effects save those integrated into the amplifier. At first I thought there was a slight buzz that concerned me, but it turns out that my cable had a slight short in it. After replacing the cable there is little to no buzz on both clean and distortion settings. I really dig trying it out on heavy distortion, and I played some of Opeth's heavier stuff when I first got it. It's got a fantastic tone to it, but you'll be shocked when you switch it over to clean. What you think kicks ass on distortion kicks that much more on a clean setting; with the help of my amplifier I was able to make it sound damned near close to an acoustic guitar, or by placing the pickup selector in the middle position and turning up the reverb I got a great "Little Wing" sound. The tone knob is very sensitive, definitely the most out of any sound - and each of the 5 pickup selector positions offers a distinctly different sound. I still haven't found all of the combinations on it, but if there exists a musical sound out there, I'm sure there's a way to emulate it using this guitar.

I've been playing guitar for 6 years, and I honestly haven't touched a better guitar than this one. I've used a nice Gibson Les Paul before and I think that this guitar beats it on both tone and especially weight; anybody who has ever used a Les Paul knows how heavy those things get after playing them for a while. The PRS Custom 24 is thinner than even a Fender Stratocaster, and even as thin as it is, it's still extremely durable and sturdy. The guitar was a great upgrade from my previous guitar, an Ibanez S770PB. If the guitar was stolen or lost, I would buy another - but not for a while, as the guitar is very expensive and I can't readily summon up another 3 grand. Favorite features: - Great tone - Very light; easy to carry Least favorite feature: - Cost. Honestly, with the money you put down, the ONLY con is the cost. Every penny of your money is invested in the quality of this guitar, so you won't expect disappointment in any area but your wallet.

This guitar can definitely withstand live playing; I've played it and I've seen many others play it life and strum the hell out of it. With the price you're paying for one, you can expect the best quality. The hardware is sturdy, the strap buttons are solid, and even the tone and volume knobs feel high-quality. I can depend on it; I'd use it at a gig without a backup. The guitar also has a nice finish that doesn't thin or easily wear off.

Everything about this guitar was properly set up from the get-go. The guitar even came with a little piece of cardboard that specified who made the final adjustments on the guitar, what gauge strings they used and when they were placed on the guitar, and finished off with a signature to signify it passed inspection. There were no flaws that I noticed.

The PRS Custom 24 I got was made in 2011 and has the following features: - Mahogany body - Carved figured maple top - V12 finish - Mahogany neck - Pattern thin neck carve - East Indian rosewood fretboard - 24 frets - Ivory/brown bird inlays - 59/09 bridge pickup - 59/09 neck pickup - 5-way blade pickup switch - Pickup Switching Positions: - Position One: Bridge humbucker - Position Two: Bridge humbucker with neck singlecoil, in parallel - Position Three: Bridge and neck humbuckers - Position Four: Neck singlecoil with bridge singlecoil, in parallel - Position Five: Neck humbucker - PRS tremolo - Nickel hardware (the above specs borrowed from MusiciansFriend.com). It also came with a very sturdy case.

malkaroee
    maybe you can compare the gibson to the prs (even that almost pointless) but jackson?! its impossible to compare a jackson to a prs
    sagelyis
    Hey I have tons of PRS guitars I'm willing to sell brand new, I have customs and Prs SE Customs! Great deals I promise serious buyers only, I promise to have the best prices around I shit world wide! I also have thousands of other guitars!
    rnodern
    I had always admired these guitars. I would frequent guitar shops that stock them, just so I can play them. When the SE models came out, I purchased a Single Cut as they had somewhat of an arched top like their expensive cousins. After saving for a while, I finally purchased one. A blue Custom 24. It was beyond all of my expectations. The approachability of the guitar was somewhat similar to the SE. However, in every other aspect, it simply eclipses my SE Singlecut. I'm so glad that I got it
    drpdrp97
    Lol seeing these comments I'm about to commit a crime I'm buying a Custom 24 and I use a Line 6 Spider IV 15 amp currently HAHAHAHAHAHA.