Mark Tremonti Signature review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: Mark Tremonti Signature

The reason I bought this guitar was because I bought an amp about 5 years earlier from Mother's and after the sale the employee asked me if I wanted to try the amp out on an expensive guitar (no doubt to make me buy a guitar also), so I told him to get me that 2003 Tremonti (pre-lawsuit). It played like a dream, but the neck was just a little thick for me. Once I had the money to buy one the only problem I had with it (the neck thickness) had been fixed. This is the perfect guitar for my style. I love metal and all forms of rock, but this guitar also has tone for days because of its solid construction, so it has extremely warm clean tones, which was a must for me. I use it with a Mesa/Boggie Nomad 100 (one of my favorite amps ever), a Morley Power Wah, Behringer US600, and Korg Pitchblack tuner. I just use the amp's channels for clean and distortion. Because there is a tone knob for each pickup there is a wide variety of sounds that this guitar can make, especially when both pickups are on at once. It was warm cleans and bright highs, everything I need.

After playing for about 6 years I finally bought a guitar worth more than $400, and it was worth it. The best guitar that I used to own was a used Ibanez SZ320M, and I loved that guitar, but the Tremonti is leagues better. If it was ever stolen or lost I would probably suffer a mental break and go into the fetal position for a few days. One thing I love about it is the weight, 8 lbs. Is not to heavy, but heavy enough that is feels solid in your hands and you can use the weight on vibratos and bends. The tuners rock too, PRS makes the best tuners and tremolos, way better than Floyd Rose. It has everything I need, keep up the good work PRS.

Very durable guitar. The hardware and finish were well done, as they say, "it's a tank". I use it all the time without a backup. I would like it to have the new PRS V12 finish, because the neck is lacquer and it gets a little sticky from time to time, but I would never sand it.

PRS factory set it, that is always a good thing. After I got it I changed the Strings to D'Addario Regular Light, but the factory strings seemed to play just fine. Nothing was lose and the guitar was more playable right out of the case than most guitars are after a setup.

I have a 2008 Mark Tremonti Signature. It was made on the 25th Anniversary year, so it was the first year with the shadow birds, which I love. I actually order the guitar through Mother's Music and the guitar was made for me at the factory and shipped to the store. The features of this guitar are: - Maple top, Mahogany back, Mahogany neck, Rosewood fretboard - 22 Jumbo Frets - Gloss, Tri-Color Sunburst finish (with natural binding) - PRS Bridge - Tremonti Pickups - One volume and one tone for each humbucker and a 3 way switch - PRS Phase II low mass locking tuners - PRS hardshell case, spare tuner parts and certificate of ownership.