Modern Eagle Singlecut review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: Modern Eagle Singlecut

I tend to play rock, classic rock, and blues. It's a very versatile guitar with a bright sound that can cut through the mix, yet still give a dark creamy tone when you roll back the tone knob. My amps are a Rivera M-60, Blonde Fender Tremolux w/attaching cabinet, and a Heavily modified Peavey Delta Blues (10" + 12" Eminence Red Fangs in a custom built quilted maple cabinet. Orange drop caps, additional foot switches, and tone mods). The only pedals I use are a Route 66 overdrive/compressor, DigiTech Hardwire chorus and delay, and Jimi Hendrix Wah. I don't think there are any sounds this guitar couldn't make. The neck is thin, but not a super thin Ibanez, and it's not a free floating trem, so I suppose Steve Vai and other ultimate shredders would be dissapointed. The tone knob can be pulled up to split the coils, but even then it's not noisy at all. It's not a Strat, although you can get close, just not that traditional Strat honk. You can get all the tones of a Gibson Les Paul, but I can't find any of the dark muddy sounds that a lot of them will get, and I count that as a win. The nitro finish lets the wood sing, and you get crisp beautiful notes. It's everything you lust after, with no downside.

I like music you can hear and sway to - Blues, a little Jazz and Reggae, Classic Rock. Almost nothing with metal in the name of it. This plays everything I like perfectly. I had delusions in high school, but never went anywhere with it. I picked the guitar up again after 30 years, so I'll say I've been playing for the last 3 years. If it were stolen, I would have to buy another one. Once I hunted the thief down, and broke the neck off after giving him a guitar body enema, I would need to get a replacement immediately. The sound and feel is great, but I'll say the neck is the best thing about this guitar, I love it most of all. There is nothing about it hate. If I had to change anything, I'd like a color that 'pops' a bit more. After having it for a while, the dirty natural is a bit drab. But then again, it's all about the sound.

I wouldn't trust anything on a gig without a backup if I could help it, but if someone put a gun to my head and said pick one guitar and that's all you could have, this would be it. The strap buttons are extra wide (which can be difficult to get a leather strap on and off, but hold on like nobody's business). The nitro finish will probably wear easier than a poly finish would, but it's not difficult to repair either. I'm pretty sure you could use to kill someone and still play good music with afterwards.

I could not find one single thing that wasn't orgasmically perfect. Considering the price, it had better be, but it's nice to get what you pay for. From the factory, it had a better setup than most guitar shops will give you. The frets are nice and smooth (I had one guitar that sliced my fingertips open before I filed the frets and got rid of it). It is well balanced, and a true definition of quality.

PRS Modern Eagle, 2007. Made in the USA. 25" scale, wide fat 22 fret neck. Singlecut, locking tuners, tremelo. Flamed maple top, "Dirty Natural" color. Mahogany body with maple cap, Brazilian rosewood neck and fretboard. Finish is satin nitro cellulose. Single cut 'Les Paul' type body. PRS wraparound bridge. Gold hardware. PRS Modern Eagle pickups. Volume, Tone, 3 way selector Switch. PRS Phase II locking tuners. Included extra strings, neck adjustment Tool, suede leather hard case.

DGrey
    Sorry, I said it had a wraparound bridge, it has a PRS tremelo. I would have to agree with you on too many 10's. I have another PRS that also has a rosewood neck (gawd I love 'em), but it has a fret buzz on the low E that I can't get rid of. It's either adjust the neck and action so high it's ridiculous, or live with a buzz. Unlike the Modern Eagle here, it has a wraparound bridge, which doesn't allow you to adjust the height of the saddle, and intonation is difficult to impossible to get spot on. To fix that one, I believe I will need to take it to a luthier and have the nut replaced. I'll think about a tune-o-matic type wraparound bridge also. What the heck, I'll do a review on that one too
    Briar30
    OtherGuy wrote: *SIGH* I love PRS's but there are TOO MANY all 10 reviews now!
    hey man I know how you feel. If there are lots of problems, then it doesnt deserve to be a 10. I think many people are just too excited by getting a new guitar to give it a fair review.
    Ninja#117
    I just dont understand how people pay these kinda prices. i love guitar but maybe half that would be my limit and upon buying said guitar my riffs better start curing world hunger
    TheWhiteBandit
    I've had my custom 22 ten top for about half a year and would still give it a 9.8. It's hard to find anything wrong with a PRS. P.S. I practically started drooling seeing the picture and reading the review of this guitar
    ffaf12
    OtherGuy wrote: *SIGH* I love PRS's but there are TOO MANY all 10 reviews now!
    im fairly sure this is the only one but i do agree that people get a little bit over excited
    ffaf12
    bkmurff
    *SIGH* I love PRS's but there are TOO MANY all 10 reviews now!
    He paid $5,000...if it wasn't a 10 guitar, he'd return it until he got a 10 guitar for that price. People forget that when people buy a guitar for this much, it's not like they haven't seen, felt, played, and inspected every inch. If it didn't feel and sound perfect, they wouldn't buy it. If I ever see a review for a guitar that someone paid over $3000 for , and it's not a 10, then that person is an idiot.