SC 250 review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SC 250

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

This guitar suits my music style fairly well, which leans towards rock/hard rock. My amp is a Mesa Boogie Rectoverb (essentially a Single Rectifier in combo amp form). The guitar is a bit heavy for my taste (musically). This is quite possibly the most powerful guitar I have ever played. The distortion is not fuzzy or muddy; rather, it is explosively in your face. The distortion is absolutely crushing. The pickups do not possess the clarity of EMG pickups, but they have a lot more presence. These pickups blast through whatever drums, bass, or other guitars you may be playing alongside. The sound very closely mimics the Mark Tremonti sound (insanely heavy). I love Mark Tremonti, but his sound is a little heavy for my taste. For playing very heavy Creed-like rock this guitar is perfect, but it's a little heavy for other styles of music.

This really is a phenomenal guitar. My only complaint is the pickups, but it's really a matter of personal taste. I don't think this guitar, heavy as it is, would work very well with metal. I just don't think you have enough note clarity. Again, this best fits Creed-style rock. It is Les Paul-like, but the sound is more modern than vintage. For everything except the pickups, this guitar is the most perfect instrument I have ever played. The pickups are just a matter of personal preference.

I replaced the strap buttons with strap locks, so I can't comment on that. I have never had a string break, the guitar never goes out of tune--no matter how long you play. Again, it's a PRS. The hardware, the paint job, the neck, all are perfect. I especially like the locking tuners. A very fine touch.

It is a PRS guitar. That should speak enough about the setup, finish, etc. PRS, regardless of how much you like the sound of their guitars, by far has the tightest quality control. As far as hardward is concerned, this guitar is flawless. I ordered mine from musiciansfriend. Factory setup was superb. This guitar has the perfect balance of string height/action, volume, and tone.

Thick Mahogany Body Top Wood Maple Top Wood Options 10 Top Flame or 10 Top Quilt 22 frets Scale Length 25" Neck Wood Mahogany Fretboard Wood Rosewood Neck Shape Wide Fat Inlays Abalone Birds Adjustable Stoptail Tuners PRS 14:1 Phase II Low Mass Locking Tuners Truss Rod Cover SC 250 Hardware Type: Nickel Treble Pickup SC 250 Treble Bass Pickup SC 250 Bass Pickup Switching: Volume and Tone Control For Each Pickup with 3-Way Toggle Pickup Selector On Upper Bout

dementiacaptain
    yeah what in the world, epiexplorer doesnt ever start anything it always seems like some really oversensitive person who cant take any criticism to his product is complaining about epi. sometimes u just need someone to point out the flaws in something in a realistic way. and he reviewed El Vay Tee. lol thumbs my friend.