SE Billy Martin review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Billy Martin

Purchased from: guitar center

I play everything from country to rock, from blues to metal, and from jazz to fusion, and the tones coming out from this guitar is superb. I play trought a Vox 15w and with a Ibanez Tubescreamer. It has rich harmonics and you can really hear the nice blend of strings when you're strummiing it. It's distortion is the most aggreasive I have ever heard from a PRS but the PRS crunch can still be heard. This is only the bridge pickup. The neck pickup wasnt as good as the bridge pickup so I went to the Seymour Duncan store to change it. They told me I couldn't change it 'cause the humbuckers or single coil wont be able to match the bridge pickup. So I went to an EMG store! They were much more helpful and gave me a few pickups for me to choose. There was an 81, 85, 60, and 89. they told me to change my pickup arrangement. They put the 81 in the bridge and the PRS pickup in the neck. It sounded damn good. Especially when it was parallel together. So I use the 81 for metal and country. and the PRS for soloing, rock, and blues. The 81 and PRS pickup goes damn well together.

This guitar is fairly new and not many have it. I can't find much info about it and haven't read one other review on the internet about it I don't think. The store I bought it from was waiting a long time to get their PRS guitars shipped in and when they did this guitar was bought off the shelf in under 4 hours. Very nice and wanted line of guitars. The guitar suites me perfectly and it was a good price too. The guitars msrp is around 600 dollars but you can easily find them for 500 and under. This guitar stuck out of the crowd when I was guitar shopping. I like the looks of it a lot. Maybe if I new Who billy Martin was I wouldn't have buyed it (I hate HIM and Good Charlotte) but I dind't, and I liked the looks so much that I just got it. All the employees at the guitar store were extrememly surprised that it took 4 hours before this guitar was sold. I got there in the nick of time 'cause I guaruntee that this guitar would have been long gone later that day.

This guitar is great for live playing (obviously since Billy Martin uses this same basic guitar). I tried it once for my band performance in a school class party and this guitar rocked. The hardware seems solid, the finish is durrable and looks great. Very dependable guitar.

the guitar is set up perfectly from the factory. For me at least and the pickups are well adjusted. The guitar has a really nice finish that doesn't normally come on mahogany. But I really wish it wasnt a satin one, when you sweat, it will look like an old guitar, so I guess I need to polish it regularly.

This axe was made aroung 2 to 3 years ago by the PRS Korean team. It has 22 extra jumbo frets, a solid top, came with a volume and tone control knob with 2 humbuckers made by PRS and helped by Seymour Duncan. These are passive pickups. The body is made of a mahogany body with a 3 piece mahogany neck and a double cutaway shape which is the trademark of PRS. It has non-locking tuners and a slightly fat neck scale which I really like with the standard 25" width. It came with a gig bag, cable, tools and humidifier. The bridge was a stoptail. Nice black satin finish.

guitarist41
    hiddeninromance
    really enjoy this guitar. not sure about the bat too much but i had to get it because of the matt black. and it was on sale is sounds sso nice and plays incredibly xx
    mgrowe
    I have one of these and it is one of the nicest guitars I have ever played. (Been playing 30 years) The sounds out of it are great and very versatile Excellent value for money
    Itchyknee
    i love mines excellent for throwing about haha altho i wish it didnt have billy martin on it (even tho its his sig guitar lol)
    t1r2b3
    My first PRS did not know who the hell Billy Martin was did not and don't care the Guitar is Awesome match's my collection of black girls lol and has the wide range of tone you would expect from a PRS !
    j-boy199
    guitarist41 wrote: This guitar is the EXACT same as a PRS SE Standard except from the knobs and the bat inlay. There's an interesting fact for ya!
    Yeah, Aparently that's all he contributed to the model, which is a bit silly really :S. Could of had a nicer finish or something
    Eddy Confetti78
    This was my first guitar and let me tell you, i Fucking LOVE it! it has a better metal tone than any ibanez ive ever played, and that tells me alot
    GuitarMelody
    I have a PRS SE Billy Martin guitar for sale, due to lack of use. Offers welcome. Email me through this site.
    ProjectileQuiet
    First of all, the bridge pickup sucks. Second of all, the neck pickup is even worse. Thirdly, both Billy Martin and Good Charlotte are awful. I can't imagine what was going through my head when I bought this guitar, and only after replacing the pickups have I been able to stand to play it.