SE Billy Martin review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Billy Martin

Price paid: C$ 600

Purchased from: Woodshed Music INC

I play lots of hard rock and some various metal. But I sometimes enjoy playing on clean. I play through a Peavey Rage 158 amp. The sound on clean is amazingly superb and distortion is amazing. I play stuff like Three days grace, Rise against, As I lay dying, and even some Guns and roses and ACDC. I really like the sound and versatility of the guitar. One complaint is that I get quite a bit of feedback. (this might be because my amp is crap :P) and with the strings I get a slippery squeking sound. Other than that I really like the guitar.

This is a great match for the music I play. Metallica, Three days grace, rise against, As I lay dying. I've been playing guitar for 1 year and 8 months and it really feels great. At the store, I tried it on a Line 6 IV 75watt, it was so much better than my Peavey rage 158. One tip I have is make sure you have a good solid amplifier (mine is only 25 watts or something). If it was stolen, I would probably get it again because of how awesome it is. I compared this to an epi Les Paul custom, some Ibanez guitars (including a JS100 bk), as well as some Schecter and godin. This really suite me well and I plan on keeping it for a while. I give it overall a solid 9 because of the fact that the pickups give feedback sometimes.

I've only had the guitar for a couple days but in my opinion, if I every played live, this would be my main guitar (with a backup of course). The finish looks like it will last but I does gather dust very quickly. Before I gig, I'd have to fix the problem with the feedback I'm getting.

The action was AMAZING! I loved it. After playing the guitar for less than 1 minute in the store, I new I loved the feel. The pickup selector is a bit noisy but nothing to worry about. Paint is flawless (as far as I can tell) and it looks like a beast. Strap buttons are great. Comfort ability is amazing.

Not sure when it was made but it was made in Korea. 1 Volume, 1 tone, 3 way selector switch. Green Dot inlays with green bat at 12 fret (I think its sweet). Bride pup: PRS designed treble. Neck pup: PRS designed bass. 22 frets. Came with case. Good finish, looks really good at first sight. Thick Neck (like a les paul).