SE Billy Martin Review

manufacturer: Paul Reed Smith date: 11/17/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Paul Reed Smith: SE Billy Martin
It features a solid mahogany body and glued-in mahogany neck with a rosewood fingerboard. The new matte black finish is complemented by black hardware and green inlays with a special bat design on the 12th fret.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 9.8
 9.1
 9.7
 8.5
 7,369
reviews (4) 12 comments vote for this gear:
SE Billy Martin Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 04, 2005

Features: 2004, korea. A while back, korean made guitars were nothing to be desired but now, they are some fine guitars. It has 22 frets, with a rosewood fret board. The neck is very fast and smooth. It is made from mahogany. Most people think of a heavy guitar when the hear mahogany. I'm not sure what PRS did to make it lighter, but wow it's very light. There is a 3 way selector with a tone and volume control. The two PRS made humbucking pickups give a great variety of sound from jazz, to hardcore and metal. The tuners are locking and the guitar stays tuned for a long time which is good. With the guitar came a gig bag. This gig bag is one of the daddies of all gig bags, it's very hard and padded and is very well made. Looks good too. // 10

Sound: I like to play many different types of music but mostly stay with the good rock like Three Days Grace, Linkin Park, Switchfoot, Disturbed, Sum 41 (the new Sum 41) and I could go on forever. The guitar has much range of sound. I use it with a Line 6 Spyder II 15 watt amp which is probably the best amp for the money that I know of because of the features and the quality. You can get a bright acoustical sound from the guitar, or you can get the deepest darkest hungriest growl (and everything in between). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: the guitar is set up perfectly from the factory. For me at least and the pickups are well adjusted. The guitar has a really nice finish that doesn't normally come on mahogany. It's a flat black and on the fret board it has green dot inlays and a green design that Billy Martin (lead guitarist from Good Charolette) designed himself. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would be great for live playing (obviously since Billy Martin uses this same basic guitar). The hardware seems solid, the finish is durrable and looks great. Very dependable guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is fairly new and not many have it. I can't find much info about it and haven't read one other review on the internet about it I don't think. The store I bought it from was waiting a long time to get their PRS guitars shipped in and when they did this guitar was bought off the shelf in under 4 hours. Very nice and wanted line of guitars. The guitar suites me perfectly and it was a good price too. The guitars msrp is around 600 dollars but you can easily find them for 500 and under. This guitar stuck out of the crowd when I was guitar shopping. I like the looks of it a lot. All the employees at the guitar store were extrememly surprised that it took 4 hours before this guitar was sold. I got there in the nick of time casue I guaruntee that this guitar would have been long gone later that day. // 10

SE Billy Martin Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 02, 2005

Purchased from: Marks Music

Features: The SE Billy Martin Model features a solid mahogany body and glued-in mahogany neck with a rosewood fingerboard. The new matte black finish is complemented by black hardware and green inlays with a special bat design on the 12th fret (drawn by Billy himself). The electronics include two PRS designed humbuckers, a 3-way pickup selector, volume and tone knobs. PRS designed stoptail, PRS designed non-locking tuners. All hardware on this model is black 25" scale length mahogany 22-fret neck with rosewood fretboard and green Billy Martin designed inlays (dots with a "spooky" bat that stretches from 11th to 13th fret). Neck carve - wide fat. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my music style very well as I play the same type of music billy plays himself. The tone on this guitar is the best I've heard on clean considering that it has humbuckers. In distortion the guitar has so much power! The sound of it is brilliant, best PRS SE model on the market! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar had no flaws what so ever in the set-up. It was fine. The intonation was perfect. The wood on the neck is very nice, smooth and alows fast action. The pickups are well positioned and the hardware id adjusted fine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar looks solid enough to gig. It's now going to be one of my main guitars so I will be gigging it regularly. I'm gigging it without a backup at my next gig in a couple of days because I can trust it. It's a very solid guitar. The only thing is that the finish marks realy easy so I have to clean it alot! // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a very good match to the music I play. I also own a PRS Tremonti SE and they go well together. If it was stolen it would be very likely that I would get another one. The best thing about it is the variety of tone and sounds you can get. I also love the green inlays and bat on the 12 fret. I have compared it to my Tremonti and my dads Gibson Les Paul Custom and it wins on the fact of sound, and how much it cost compared to the Gibson! // 10

SE Billy Martin Reviewed by: angus69, on april 25, 2006

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: This axe was made aroung 2 to 3 years ago by the PRS Korean team. It has 22 extra jumbo frets, a solid top, came with a volume and tone control knob with 2 humbuckers made by PRS and helped by Seymour Duncan. These are passive pickups. The body is made of a mahogany body with a 3 piece mahogany neck and a double cutaway shape which is the trademark of PRS. It has non-locking tuners and a slightly fat neck scale which I really like with the standard 25" width. It came with a gig bag, cable, tools and humidifier. The bridge was a stoptail. Nice black satin finish. // 9

Sound: I play everything from country to rock, from blues to metal, and from jazz to fusion, and the tones coming out from this guitar is superb. I play trought a Vox 15w and with a Ibanez Tubescreamer. It has rich harmonics and you can really hear the nice blend of strings when you're strummiing it. It's distortion is the most aggreasive I have ever heard from a PRS but the PRS crunch can still be heard. This is only the bridge pickup. The neck pickup wasnt as good as the bridge pickup so I went to the Seymour Duncan store to change it. They told me I couldn't change it 'cause the humbuckers or single coil wont be able to match the bridge pickup. So I went to an EMG store! They were much more helpful and gave me a few pickups for me to choose. There was an 81, 85, 60, and 89. they told me to change my pickup arrangement. They put the 81 in the bridge and the PRS pickup in the neck. It sounded damn good. Especially when it was parallel together. So I use the 81 for metal and country. and the PRS for soloing, rock, and blues. The 81 and PRS pickup goes damn well together. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: the guitar is set up perfectly from the factory. For me at least and the pickups are well adjusted. The guitar has a really nice finish that doesn't normally come on mahogany. But I really wish it wasnt a satin one, when you sweat, it will look like an old guitar, so I guess I need to polish it regularly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is great for live playing (obviously since Billy Martin uses this same basic guitar). I tried it once for my band performance in a school class party and this guitar rocked. The hardware seems solid, the finish is durrable and looks great. Very dependable guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is fairly new and not many have it. I can't find much info about it and haven't read one other review on the internet about it I don't think. The store I bought it from was waiting a long time to get their PRS guitars shipped in and when they did this guitar was bought off the shelf in under 4 hours. Very nice and wanted line of guitars. The guitar suites me perfectly and it was a good price too. The guitars msrp is around 600 dollars but you can easily find them for 500 and under. This guitar stuck out of the crowd when I was guitar shopping. I like the looks of it a lot. Maybe if I new Who billy Martin was I wouldn't have buyed it (I hate HIM and Good Charlotte) but I dind't, and I liked the looks so much that I just got it. All the employees at the guitar store were extrememly surprised that it took 4 hours before this guitar was sold. I got there in the nick of time 'cause I guaruntee that this guitar would have been long gone later that day. // 9

SE Billy Martin Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 17, 2010

Price paid: C$ 600

Purchased from: Woodshed Music INC

Features: Not sure when it was made but it was made in Korea. 1 Volume, 1 tone, 3 way selector switch. Green Dot inlays with green bat at 12 fret (I think its sweet). Bride pup: PRS designed treble. Neck pup: PRS designed bass. 22 frets. Came with case. Good finish, looks really good at first sight. Thick Neck (like a les paul). // 10

Sound: I play lots of hard rock and some various metal. But I sometimes enjoy playing on clean. I play through a Peavey Rage 158 amp. The sound on clean is amazingly superb and distortion is amazing. I play stuff like Three days grace, Rise against, As I lay dying, and even some Guns and roses and ACDC. I really like the sound and versatility of the guitar. One complaint is that I get quite a bit of feedback. (this might be because my amp is crap :P) and with the strings I get a slippery squeking sound. Other than that I really like the guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was AMAZING! I loved it. After playing the guitar for less than 1 minute in the store, I new I loved the feel. The pickup selector is a bit noisy but nothing to worry about. Paint is flawless (as far as I can tell) and it looks like a beast. Strap buttons are great. Comfort ability is amazing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only had the guitar for a couple days but in my opinion, if I every played live, this would be my main guitar (with a backup of course). The finish looks like it will last but I does gather dust very quickly. Before I gig, I'd have to fix the problem with the feedback I'm getting. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great match for the music I play. Metallica, Three days grace, rise against, As I lay dying. I've been playing guitar for 1 year and 8 months and it really feels great. At the store, I tried it on a Line 6 IV 75watt, it was so much better than my Peavey rage 158. One tip I have is make sure you have a good solid amplifier (mine is only 25 watts or something). If it was stolen, I would probably get it again because of how awesome it is. I compared this to an epi Les Paul custom, some Ibanez guitars (including a JS100 bk), as well as some Schecter and godin. This really suite me well and I plan on keeping it for a while. I give it overall a solid 9 because of the fact that the pickups give feedback sometimes. // 9

Comments