SE Custom review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Custom

Purchased from: Steve's Music

Well this guitar is simply amazing! For the price, you can get so many different sounds, from one guitar, I play a very wide range of music. From metal (Iced Earth, Blind Guardian), classic rock (AC/DC, Jimi Hendrix) and the man that started my obsession with Paul Reed Smith Guitars, Carlos Santana. This guitar sounds simply amazing for every type of music I decide to play. I jam with my teacher, and friends, and this guitar delivers! I use a Korg AX5G Signal Modeling Prosessor for affects, and a Peavey Backstage Transtube amp. Without the Korg AX5G, and the amp's distortion turned up to max, it's basicly great for AC/DC, but add the AX5G, and it opens many, many windows. I could have this guitar are the most distorted setting I can find, and it still delivers nice clean crisp sounds, with no noise.

This guitar was my perfect match from the moment I set it on my lap. I have been playing for around 3 years, and I've had this guitar for not even a year yet. Other gear I own includes, a Slamer Hamer beginner guitar, a cheap acoustic guitar with no make on it. I own a Peavey Backstage Transtube amp, and a Korg AX5G. If this guitar were stolen, I would definatly get another one. I love everything about this guitar! The non locking tuners aren't that bad either, they don't go out of tune with any minor bend, so they are good enough for now. My favorite feature of this guitar is probably, how versitile it is. I had compared this guitar to B.C. Rich's, and other Paul Reed Smith SE's, but I am completly happy with this guitar. I chose this guitar because I love Paul Reed Smith guitar, but I don't have like $2000 to spend on a guitar, so I'd rather have an SE than anyother guitar. Like I've said, the only thing I wish this beauty had, was locking tuners, which I plan on getting in the future. excellent! So if you love Paul Reed Smith guitars, then check up on the many SE's they offer, I recommend either this SE Custom, or the SE Singlecut.

This guitar will No Doubt withstand playing Live. I have had this guitar for almost a year, and everything is stil in mint condition. The hardware will last a life time if treated right, and the strap buttons are like rocks, wonderful. I can definatly depend on this guitar for anything. I wouoldn't use it without a backup however (unless there is time between songs), for only one small reason, because there is non locking tuners, it will get out of tune in time with bending. But if you aren't bending much (like if your a rhythem guitarist) then go ahead take it out without a backup it won't disapoint!

This guitar was absolutly perfect, and still is, from the day I picked it up at the store, the action was perfectly wher I wanted it, and there were absolutly no flaws, what so ever. The Pickups were perfect for what I'd be using them for and the flat top was what won me over. I had never played a flat top before, and I was comparing this guitar, to the Paul Reed Smith SE Singlecut, which has a slightly carved top. From the moment I set the SE Custom on my lap, I knew it was for me.

This guitar, well this beautiful work of ART by Paul Reed Smith was made in Korea, with a 25" scale, and 22 frets that sit on a wide-fat neck with "half moon" inlays. The neck is made of rosewood, and the double cutaway, flat top body is made from Mohagany, with a maple top, and a beautiful flame top veneer. The bridge, tuners and both treble and bass pickups are all Paul Reed Smith designed. The only feature that this guitar lacks, is locking Paul Reed Smith tuners, but you could easily replace the Standard tuners with the better, locking ones. This guitar has a volume contol, tone contol, and a 3-way toggle switch. This guitar comes with a very nice gig bag that has "SE" in big letters, with "Paul Reed Smith Guitars" below it. Very, very nice.

kidcharlemagne7
    Nightfyre
    led_zep_00 wrote: gtr-boy wrote: PRS is probably the best brand of guitar around much better then Gibson or Epiphone nahhhhh. I owm a ginson les paul studio ad it sounds quite better than the se custom.
    i'd hope so... it costs, what, 3 times more? dollar for dollar, though, se custom wins, especially for those of us who don't have deep pockets or parents willing to fund our guitar obsessions.
    Lamentation
    Nightfyre
    Lamentation wrote: I'm little worried about that wide fat neck, is it much larger than a "normal" say strat neck?
    it's not as big as it sounds like. at the nut it's about standard size i think, and it's a comfy kind of large. it shouldn't slow you down or anything. try it out and see for yourself though.
    Nightfyre
    kidcharlemagne7 wrote: I just got my semi hollow version of this yesterday (finally) and I have to say that it's even better than the already great SE Custom. It has an unbelievable sound through a clean amp and also handles the funkier and jazzier stuff with ease. Also, it looks unbelievable in the natural finish. Another winner for PRS.
    Lucky! I prefer the blue finish myself, I'm gonna get one in a couple months when I have enough cash.
    dahelunover
    I got the SE Custom two days back and it sounds awesome. The pick-ups respond very well, the neck is great for soloing, the sustain that you can get on this axe is amazing and most importantly it's way cheaper. I can't seem to bend notes to the extreme though, maybe it's me or the strings. I wish it had locking tuners, but that's not much of a problem as I'll replace the original ones soon. I would recommend this to anyone, from beginner to professional, once you replace the non-locking tuners with locking ones!
    teeco
    CustomCustom wrote: I cant decide between the SE Custom in see thru black with trem (and buy some sperzels) or an Epi Les Paul Classic quilt top. The Epi has half an alder body which sucks, both have thicker type set necks but looks like you can play up high on the PRS much easier. But I love the arched top of the Epi, just a preferance, so Im still deciding.
    The epi are so damn heavy... this is a nice feather weight... w/o losing sustain