SE Custom review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Custom

I play a varying range of musical styles, from rock, metal, blues, classic rock, funk, to hard rock. This guitar is able to achieve these sounds with ease. I am using a Fender Frontman 15G with no effects, and I'm still able to get great sounds out of it. The guitar responds well to overdrive/distortion, and produces little noise even when the distortion on my amp is turned all the way up. When I use it to get a classic rock sound, it has a lot of warmth that I was amazed to find that I could get this kind of sound even when playing on an eighty dollar, solid state amp. This guitar creates a rich, yet at the same time bright sound on clean. This is great for pretty much any clean tone you can think of. I give this section a ten mainly because I have a cheap starter amp and this guitar still makes it sound amazing.

I play mostly metal and rock, but also play blues, classic rock, and funk; and this guitar gives me the ability to explore all these sounds and more. The fact that it was able to make my little amp sound much better than it should, amazes me. If this guitar were lost or stolen, I would buy it again in a heartbeat. This guitar has amazing tone for the price, and can give musicians the tonal inspiration they need. The one thing I had a problem with in this guitar was the trouble tuning, but I noticed that just keeping your hand off of the tremelo tailpiece you'll be fine. I rate this guitar based on the price, and is better than many guitars I have tried that are in a similar price range.

From the first time you put your hands on this guitar, you can tell that you and it will have quite the lasting relationship together. The entirety of the guitar feels very sturdy. There is nothing on the guitar that feels like it is going to break easily. This guitar would easily survive gigging. It has fallen off of its stand many a time and still works as well as the day I bought it.

The guitar was put together very well. The action was good, the pickups were adjusted properly. Although, because I bought it at guitar center, some minor adjustments had to be made to get the action just where I wanted it. No electronics or other hardware was damaged, but the tremelo tailpiece did give me slight trouble while trying to tune, but this was easily overlooked. Overall, the guitar is very comfortable, and gives you easy access to all of the frets.

The Paul Reed Smith SE Custom is a 25" scale electric guitar with a 22 fret, set mahogany neck; a flamed maple top and mahogany back; rosewood fretboard with moon inlays; tremelo or stop tailpiece; 2 passive zebra humbuckers, with 1 volume and 1 tone knob and a three-way Switch.

JoelTheShredder
    isntt this guitar the poor mans version off the custom 22? how does it compare to that because i wasnt incredibly impressed when i played the custom 22?