SE Custom review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Custom

Purchased from: The Rock Shop

I have a very eclectic choice in music. So this guitar is playing everything from As I Lay Dying to John Mayer stuff. It does very well with all of them. There are hotter pickups out there so if you're wanting an all out nothing-but metal guitar try something else(the same goes with the John Mayer Strat sound), but if versatility is your bag (like it is mine) then this guitar is for you. I play a higher end Crate amp with a Boss OD-20 and it's sounds really good to me. It hums just like any other guitar will do at higher volumes.

Like I said my styles of music are very different, and the PRS SE Custom keeps up very well. A friend of mine liked it just as much as he did his Gibson Studio Les Paul (He's now a proud PRS 24 owner). I would definiteley buy anoher PRS SE model if mine was stolen. I might try a single cut or the new hollowbody they have out just for the sake of playing something new. Overall this guitar is awesome.

I've never had any issues with this guitar so far. I don't play live, but the guitar has survived me lugging it around to all my friends houses and two years in a Dorm. There's been no shorting of any kind. The finish hasn't chipped even despite the aformentioned dents. The only complaint I can think of is that the input jack gets loose sometimes, but I've never had a guitar that didn't have the same problem.

There were absolutely no flaws at all with this guitar when I bought it, and three years later it's still amazing. Action is perfect. The tremolo is beginning to raise in a little bit, but I'm going to get it adjusted as well add some more springs to it. Finish was flawless (I've since scratched and dented it). It has aged very well. The intonation is still dead on all the way to the 20th fret. Thank you PRS.

PRS SE Custom 2005 made in Korea. Although I hear that Paul Reed Smith hires there own luthiers to oversee production (this might be a rumor). 22 frets wide-fat neck. Flamed maple top (very attractive. Online photo's don't give it justice). Mahogany back and neck. Double cutaway body two PRS humbuckers and tremolo. 1 volume 1 tone knob and 3-way pickup selector. PRS tuners (non-locking). With an included deluxe gig bag. Probably the nicest gigbag I've ever seen.