SE Custom review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Custom

It suits my music style very well. I do a lot of modern/alternative rock (Nickelback, Breaking Benjamin, Foo Fighters) and it seems to go very well with them. It has a very good distortion sound to it, and a very clear clean tone when not distorted. Not much of a fan of the neck pickup, but the bridge pickup has a great sound to it. I use a Kustom 65W combo amp, with a Boss distorion and a Wah. The pedal gives the guitar more of a crunch while the amp distortion makes it a little more fuzzy. Great sounding with the classic wah, but I think I'm going to try out a tremonti wah pedal cause it seems to go better with modern rock. Hardly and noise at all, even when turned up pretty loud (I played a show with the amp on 8 and the guitar on 10, and you didn't hear any buzzes or hums). The guitar has a very nice sound to it, which could easily be put up against a Gibson or Fender model. But that is to be expected with any PRS, they make very quality guitars.

I love this guitar! It's definately my primary guitar, and I love playing it. I've been playing for a couple of years, and it is definately worth every cent. It lives up to it's PRS name very well, and I enjoy this guitar thoroughly. It would definately get another one hands down, but I doubt that's happening anytime soon (not the cheapest guitars in the world). it's a great guitar, and a lot of my favotrite guitarists use this brand, so it must have some good qualities to it. The only thing I wish is that it could be one of the higher up models, but I don't have 2500 dollars to spend on one, so this makes up for it very well. Great guitar, go out and get one.

very good at playing Live, I love playing this guitar. All of the stuff has lasted very well, the strap buttons have held and it's very depedable. I have already used it before without a backup Live, and it went very well. The finish rocks and it's held up very well, hardly shows scratches, and I enjoy it very much.

I'm pretty sure it was set up normal in the factory, I haven't really done any changes to it, cause it really doesnt't need any. The pickups are adjusted well, but yet again, I really don't use to neck one that much. The electronics and everything were set up well, it was able to rock the second it got home no problem. Nothing seems to be wrong with it, it was a very well put together guitar. Great finish to it also, the black gray kinda changes colors, it looks gray sometimes, kind of a dark gunmetal at others, and even green every now and then.

Made in Korea in 2006 I would assume. 22 frets on a wide fat mahogany neck. solid mahogany and maple body. Gray black high gloss finish. it's a typical PRS design, kinda looks like a Strat. PRS tremelo and tuners. Volume and tone controls, 3-way switch. Non locking tuners, zebra style pickups. It didn't come with any accessories.