SE Custom review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Custom

I think this guitar suits my style. well, I don't really have a style, I float between most rock and metal genres. I use a line six spider III with it and, man it really rips it up. With some experimentation, just about anything can be done. I'm not sure if it does blue grass though, and it might be a little hard to shred, but considering I either can't or don't prefer those, it works out pretty well for me. The full sounds can be found by messing with the tone knob for a little bit. With the combination of the tone knob and the pick-up selector, lots of different sounds can be made. The action is just right, it takes little to no effort to fret a note, but the low e string almost never vibrates unless some idiot somehow gets my guitar and smashes his hand through the bloody thing.

I love this guitar. Completely. I own a Fender acoustic-electric and a Washburn acoustic as well as this babe. I was looking through guitar center, trying things out and testing and re-testing and such. I finally got my choice down between a Fender Stratocaster and a Gibson SG. I tried this guitar and realized that this guitar was effectivly a combination. The only thing I wish it had was locking tuners. That would have been pretty cool. I would probably buy an HHS Strat if this baby got stolen, don't get me wrong though, I would be heartbroken.

I'm still pretty new at guitar, but I have ridiculous showman-ship, which sometimes mean I run into things and do something stupid with my guitar. Yes, it has never crapped out on me. The strap buttons lasted both gigs, however, I did just get some Dunlop straploks in order to preserve my investment. I think this guitar is a good guitar, it just needs a tune-up everyonce in a while. It's like a car that way.

I got this beaut as a floor model... thus, it has some hardware problems. The neck pick-up comes loose sometimes, but only after several hours of intense jam-age. the socket for the cable comes loose sometimes, but it can easily be re-tightened. I haven't exactly been nice to it, so despite the used quality and wear of almost a year of playing almost every day, two gigs and five jam sessions, I would say she's doing pretty well. I also like the fact that the finish of the guitar doesn't limit you to one Live genre. ie. it isn't so goth-looking that if you played bluegrass on it, you'd look really weird. It fits most genres.

My SE Custom is Korean-made. It has... Drum Roll please... - 22 frets - double humbucking pick-ups - three way pick-up changer, tone & Volume knob - PRS stop-tail - Rosewood fretboard - Mahogany back, maple top - PRS designed tuners, non-locking When I picked up this baby from guitar center, I believe they threw in a couple cords and reduced the price on a case, or something.