SE Custom review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Custom

Purchased from: Ebay, Used

I play my PRS through a Crate GTD15R. The guitar is so versatile it makes me want to learn new style of music. Just tonight on a random insomnia attack I went from practicing jazz to blues to Indie ala "Broke"-Modest Mouse, to "Thunderstruck"-AC/DC and "Black Dog"-Led Zeppelin, with tons of improv and random playing in-between. Turn down the tone knob and you can get a nice super clean sound, great for jazz or chill composition. Distortion is beautiful; the PRS SE Custom has very great tone. The weakest point of the pickups would be if you were trying to get outrageous distorted crunch from it. She can handle it pretty well, but I find I like the sound better out of my ESP EC100QM which is a far worse guitar. The neck is very wide though, so metal probably wouldn't be the first choice of music to play on this PRS. Perfect 10/10, truly incredible.

I've been playing guitar for about 5 years now. I used to play at open mic nights frequently on my Epiphone Hummingbird. The style of music I tend to play is pretty varied. Acoustic-wise I write my own music, and electric I play everything and anything. My amp is set with high mids and high bass at the moment and I get a great alt-rock/indie sound out of this guitar, which is perfect for me. If this guitar were stolen I would be very upset. I'd probably buy the new 2012 SE Custom 24 model, but it honestly wouldn't be the same. This is the best guitar I've ever played and my treasure. You won't regret buying it.

I don't gig, but this guitar is very sturdy. I feel like she could be dropped and really not take too much damage (Although that would break my heart). The finish is very good, thick and incredible. I take good care of all my instruments so I have no doubt that the hardware will last for the rest of my life.

I bought mine used from a college student off of eBay. The action is a little messed up due to him putting on large gauge strings (Most likely for drop tuning of some sort) making the action high at certain spots on the neck. This is a personal issue, everything else is perfect. I'm sure that an out of the box PRS SE Custom 22 will be setup immaculately, another 10/10.

Made in Korea, my PRS is an older model with half-moon inlays. The specs should be known by anyone who's seriously researching this guitar so I'll skip that part. She's gorgeous, a real stunner. I have her in a Grey/Black Quilted Top. The finish has oceans of depth, truly spectacular. I find myself polishing her for hours a day and am hesitant to even play, but am reminded why I do every time I start strumming. Tuners are non-locking and hold tune well enough, definitely the weakest point of this guitar.