SE Custom 24 review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Custom 24

Purchased from: guitar center

For what I play it sounds great. (I play anything from some worship music to even sreemo(which I don't really like). It is not as bright as a strat...it has humbuckers, but not near as heavy as the les paul I play. For me though I love it. At the moment I don't play through an amp, I have a Pod X3 Live that I play straight through a pa system. I tipically use the neck pickup because I like warm tone it has.

Overall I love it, if it were stolen or lost I would buy the single cut version just because I like the look. I compared this with a Epiphone Les Paul Custom and Schecter omen. I didn't pick the omen because 1 it's a shecter 2 I don't like the neck 3 it's cheap and 4 don't like the tone. I didn't got the les paul because 1 too heavy 2 don't like the thick neck and 3 well, I just don't like it as much. Finally I'm sorry about my spelling.

Well, I guess it has good durability but I haven't dropped it yet and don't plan too. The stap buttons that came with it are big with big threads but I did, like everyone should, put strap locks on it. I will depend on it, I mean there is always a chance something will not work but I trust it... It's a Paul Reed Smith quality guitar!

I have not changed a thing about the action... I like it really close the fret board. Oh, I did change one thing... It came with four springs in the tremolo system and I put the fifth one in. The finish is amazing there are no places where they "didn't color in the lines" the binding is perfect too.

I don't know what year it was made, it was made in Korea. It has 24 frets with a thin neck. The body is double cutaway and mahogany with a rosewood neck. It has a tremolo also. The pick ups are passive. There is a volume knob and tone knob with three way pick up selector. If you buy it on the computer it comes with a gig bag buy I bought a case from guitar center.

prscustomse24
    um, if u have the mony DEFINITLY BUY THE CUSTOM 24, NOT SE....(nothing against it....i love it, the custom is just Way better in every way shape and form) so buy it.....if u have the mony
    rso5150
    mdawg24 wrote: I have an SE Custom 22 and the only issue I have with it is that my G has a hard time staying in tune. From what I hear it's the nut not being cut as well as the higher end models, so I lubed it up with some chapstick and it works fine haha. Glad to hear you're not having the same issue.
    Wiseman71901
    Does the chapstick trick work? I just bought my SE Custom 24 today and plan to gig with it in a week. My other work horses are a Strat and Ibanez's (floyd equiped). I played for a couple hours tonight and had some tuning issues when I used the bar. Other than that I love the way this guitar plays. Appreciate any feedback I can get. Chapstick, Vaseline, pencil lead for graphite... All work. You may also try lubing the trem and taking a wound acoustic G string to use for sticking into the nut slot for that string so you can "File" it without having to find a file. This reduced friction and friction is the only reason trems go out of tune.
    jhart08
    cmk6zd wrote: I'm looking to get a custom 24, but I'm confused with whether to get an se or a regular. Whats the difference in PRS and what do you suggest? THANKS!
    Well, the SE 24 is around $650 on the market, and the Custom 24 starts around $2500 and can go on and on. What your paying for is the american made quality, more attention to detail, better inlays, pickups, tuners etc. Don't make the mistake to say the SE is an inferior guitar...there are a few pros that use the SE's on a daily basis. When it comes right down to it, the american made has higher quality standards, but that doesn't make the SE a bad guitar. that being said, I went to a store where i played the tremonti SE and a higher end PRS custom and I actually prefered the SE in terms of playability. Finally, I say that if you have the money to throw down on an american made, go for it. It will probably play better and will for sure have a better resale value if you should ever part with it (but it'd be a shame). If not, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the SE.
    cmk6zd
    archie2k2
    BIG money differences.. Because custom 24 are made in usa Higher quality than SE lines SE=(Student Edition) SE lines are made in Korea good quality instrument and affordable for most of people. Regular cusmtom 24 has curved body, SE just flat. http://www.prsguitars.com/custom/specs.p... http ://www.prsguitars.com/secustom/specs.html
    rso5150
    Wiseman71901
    Sorry for my mistake. I was trying to quote RSO5150 (5150 is a great amp, by the way, but I've played cheaper and better. No need to waste money on it that you could use on a used car or more guitars and stuff.)
    RokLobsta
    Just played a couple of these in a shop today. They are epic. Better than all the Fenders there for sure.
    Smokinjoerules1
    any else encounter occasional tuning instability with this guitar, cos i do, and yes a string the guitar properly. Apart from that thers jack shit wrong with this guitar, it tends to be the high end strings that make a slight pinging sound occasionally if the strings have been on more than a month :S
    quagmysters
    RokLobsta
    quagmysters wrote: I've just won the 25th anniversary model in signed by Carlos santana so am happy to here you guys say there so good
    Wow, I'm really jealous now. They are great I bought one a few weeks ago.