SE Custom 24 review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Custom 24

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

I play hard rock, heavy metal, pop-punk, and some blues. This guitar is great for all of those styles and more. I usually play it through my Marshall MG100HFX half stack and it sounds amazing. The neck pickup produces really rich sounds, and the bridge pickup sounds amazing with some distortion. You can get pretty much any sound you want out of this guitar.

I have no complaints about this guitar. It perfectly suits my needs/wants, and I couldn't be happier with it. I've heard that guitars from Korea are crappy. In this case, that is totally not true. This guitar can hold its ground against any other. The only thing that can pass this up is the U.S. Made Custom 24. If this guitar were stolen, I would track down who took it, and beat them to death with a shovel. I absolutely love this guitar. It is my new #1. But don't just take my word for it. Try one out!

This guitar can withstand anything I throw at it, although I am a little afraid to play it too hard because it looks so gorgeous. It does go out of tune if you use the tremolo too much, but that's not a surprise. I will put some locking tuners on it eventually to help fix that. I will absolutely use this at a gig, but I would have a backup because of the tremolo. Then again, I always have a backup guitar anyway.

The guitar came out of the box ready to play. The neck feels great; it's slightly thinner than what I'm used to, but it is also easier to wrap your hands around. I was pretty much a Les Paul only guy, but that's all changing because of this PRS. It came with D'Addario strings from the factory, but I put some Ernie Ball .10s on it. It feels even better now.

- Made in Korea - Flat flamed maple top - Mahogany body - Maple neck - Rosewood fretboard with bird inlays - 24 frets (obviously) - PRS designed tuners, bridge, and pickups - 1 volume, 1 tone, and 3 way switch - Mine has an Orange finish

Basti95
    Basti95 wrote: Want it.
    LOL i said i want it...i'm holding one right now AWWWW YEEEAA
    rv_phoenix
    strat0blaster wrote: This is pretty much the best value for the money you'll find anywhere.
    You're right. PRS has this particular ability of making instruments than appeal to everyone. This Custom 24 SE is - if well crafted - a perfect tool. It has everything you need: sound, playability, versatility, great hardware, good finish. It you're lucky enough to get one made in a very resonant piece of wood, then you got a guitar for a lifetime. But even if you aren't, then you just get a consistent, solid and reliable workhorse that will never let you down. Not to mention that it costs about the price of a low-level Fender or Gibson and it beats them in every respect. (I'm a Stratophile, I must add, not to be mistaken.)
    judo_john
    BeefWellington wrote: Any PRS is a good 'un. This one is the cheapest ones they sell I think, and it still sounds as great as any high end les paul. I think the guy from SikTh used this model.. I agree too. This guitar looks great. I'd love to get a PRS, but they don't do any lefty models
    rv_phoenix
    judo_john wrote: Yeah, cost nearly 4000 to get a lefty PRS. Absolute nightmare. I love them, but I'll have to love them from a distance
    Do what Jimi did: take a right-hand one and turn it upside down, them replace the strings in the right order for your left hand. I bet you'll get an intersting sound out of your guitar. No kidding. Remember that the pickups will remain at the same height adjustment as for a right hand player, so, just like Jimi, you'll have a humbucker closer to the lower end of your strings than to the higher one. I'd be thrilled to listen to a PRS set up like that.
    Nattack_TGD
    I saw a newer version of the SE custom 24 in a shop in London the other week, exactly like mine with the beautiful whale blue finish... Except it had the birds. I wanted to cry. I've never wanted anything so much. But I do love my Custom 24. The neck profile is so perfect, it's just a joy to play it & the upgraded pick-ups are beauties.
    luciat
    I got the mikael akerfeldt se. Not because I am a fan of opeth (in fact, I don't think I've ever really listened to any of their songs) but because I got a really good deal on the guitar. I'm going to switch out the pickups, the nut, the bridge and the tuners. If I so much as look at the trem, the guitar goes out of tune. It really is annoying. The nut creaks and hence will be swapped out. I am okay with the guitar since I only paid half of what it retails for in the shops, but if I had to pay the full price, I'd go for something else.
    Callus1
    22 mid-jumbo frets on a rosewood frtbrd.Mahogany neck and body. 25" scale, two humbuckers and a master tone and volume. Mine had the tremolo version
    I would have hoped that someone who has been playing for '15+ years' would have been able to relate the number of frets on guitar to the fact that the same guitar is called the '24'...
    ghostbust555
    whenever I tightened (or loosened) the higher end strings, the tuners would often make a slight ping sound and knock that string more notches out of tune than I wanted. After it makes the pinging sound once it's fine
    All you need is to put some graphite on the nut. the tuners are fine the string is binding in the nut.