SE Custom Semi-Hollow Body review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Custom Semi-Hollow Body

The way I would describe the PRS would be warm and full. The mahogany body, dual-humbuckers and the semi-hollow body lend to a warm tone, which can still get bright and spanky with a twist of the tone knob. I use it with a Vox AC15, through a Fulltone OCD, Little Big Muff, and a Vox V847 wah. This guitar works great with just about any set-up, and is pretty versatile, although I wouldn't use it for a metal gig with my rig and pickups.

My overall impression is that this guitar is great for just about everyone. It plays like a dream, has a wide range of tones, and looks damn good. I compared this to a Taylor T5, and an Ibanez AJD, but I was really impressed by the PRS, and then a deal slid my way and I just had to pick it up. It's not quite the finish I would pick, but with a few mods, it looks great.

This guitar has gotten thrown around, but never quite gotten the shit kicked out of it. The hardware is tough, and I'd feel comfortable using it without a backup. One of my favorites things is that the strap-buttons are some of the nicest ones I've ever used, on any guitar. I love 'em! The finish is tough too, I wouldn't worry about it. I've forcefully slammed it into the sharp edge of a tile counter once, and it was fine. That's pretty damn awesome.

The action on my guitar is just wonderful! It's challenged guitars three times it's price with playability and tone. The pickups were adjusted fine from the factory, but I raised the neck pickup a bit, and realized it's pretty hot. It makes for a great tone raised a bit though.

The PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollowbody is a Korean made semi-hollowbody electric guitar. It's got 22 frets on a 25" scale wide-thin neck. The guitar features a rosewood fingerboard with classy half-moon inlays. The PRS has got a solid, flame maple top in either natural, black, or blue matteo (a beautiful, deep blue colour.) The body is mahogany, with a "canoe-cut", or a chamber routed on the left-side of the body. This features a modern f-hole. The body style is vaguely like a modern solid-body Ibanez (like an RG) but with shorter, rounder horns. The right horn has a bevel on it for increased upper-fret access, which I personally love. It has a pre-intonated stoptail bridge. Instead of a tune-o-matic and a stoptail, the stoptail was intonated at the factory. This means no intonation problems, but it does mean you can't easily replace the bridge with aftermarket parts. The electronics are simple: volume, tone, and pickup selector. This makes for easy controls, and I have never felt limited by them. The pickup configuration goes HH, like an LP. The guitar comes with a high-quality gig bag. Also: I changed a few small things on the guitar, like pickup rings, pickup covers, and knobs, and they've all greatly affected the aesthetics. It looked good before, but now it looks great.

niftycakedude
    UG's two newest reviews are my two guitars. Weird. The SE is pretty sick, awesome beginner guitar and a good range of tones.