SE Dave Navarro review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Dave Navarro

Purchased from: RGM Music

I mainly play rock music, and have done for years, having been through countless ibanez/esp/ltd/jackson guitars I decided it was time for something different. I got the PRS after trying one out in the store and realising it didn't matter which style I was playing (blues, jazz, country etc) that the PRS does it ALL extremely well. The guitar is very rich, sounds amazing when clean and can sustain forever when you're in the mood for some hard rock, or dare I say it.. Some Metal/Hardcore.. I've tuned this down to Drop C before to play some Killswitch Engage etc and the guitar handles it fine.

Unbelievable. In every aspect, as I've already said countless times. I will 100% recommend this guitar (the SE model) to anyone after a good quality instrument that can handle anything that's thrown at it. Any tone, any style, any volume... This guitar will handle it. PRS are miles above Ibanez/ESP. This particular model (Dave Navarro) just LOOKS special as well, even playing utter crap on it like Blink-182 seems impressive to the average listener as it makes it sound so good and the guitar makes you seem 10x better than you actually are!

This guitar will withstand anything you through at it, I don't gig anymore, but I know that this guitar is more than up to the challenge. The ONLY thing I haven't used to a great degree is the factory standard tremolo arm. I never use it, my Ibanez had a locking system on it, so I never had to worry about the strings going out of tune.. But the PRS doesn't (thankfully) but I HATE using tremolo arms that come without a locking system. So I couldn't comment on the durability of the arm. The hardware will last forever and the strap buttons are rock solid.

The guitar comes pretty much perfect out of the factory if you ask me. Like I said I've started playing a lot of different styles now and I wouldn't even dream of changing any of the pickups on this guitar. The SE models from PRS are seen as the more affordable, "not as good" equivs to the American built PRS', but having played both, I really can't feel 1500+ worth of difference on the guitars. This guitar plays extremely well and it just oozes quality from every angle. Something that all my previous guitars haven't done.

Got this guitar about 3 months ago and Love everything about it, there's a real quality from PRS guitars (even the SE models) That I just never feel when I play or hold another one, The guitar comes with a 24 fret thin neck, Mega easy to play fast on. Sort of a Strat style body to it but much nicer and modern. Fixed bridge with a tremolo arm comes as standard (in gold) and has 2 PRS pickups, Vintage bass and they're HFS (hot fat, screams) in the neck. Comes with a 5 was selector switch as well as a push pull on the tone control.