SE EG review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE EG

I play a lot of blues and classic rock, and I had to pick this guitars soud and feel over that of a Mexican or American Strat, for any music you have great quality sound, through my Marshall I find it's a little hotter than that of a Fender and still has that classic single coil bite. People have put down the middle pickup, but it's my favourite in distortion, the bridge pu has great bite, and the neck pickup with the tone rolled back gets nicely womany. My only problem is with the tone knob, that stops having much variation past 6.

I've been playing for about 3 yearsand this guitar is exactly what I wanted, the entire SE line are great guitars for under 800 bucks, I used to think I'd never like asian guitars but this has changed my mind, I had originally planned to get the S/S/H model but none were in stock. The only problem I could have with this guitar would be the hideous white model.

The factory set up was perfect, and the PU were a little better than what I'd expect from Korean manufacturers, the finish is nice and even and I couldn't find any flaws, the edges of the nut could have used rounding off but I'm not going to complain.

The SE EG is a solid mahogany guitar with a glued-in mahogany neck and rosewood fingerboard. It features a 3-ply pickguard with 3 custom single coil pickups and a 5-way blade pickup selector. The SE EG is available in Antique White with a tortoise shell pickguard, Metallic Red with a white pickguard and Metallic Blue with white pickguard.

mike_anderson25
    nx_911_turbo
    mike_anderson25 : I got da one with the humbucker, its bloody solid, and got it in sunbust not dat ugly as white lol well worth the NZ$900 (on special from NZ$1400)
    I got the same one yesterday for $300 CAN (gotta love L&M blowout sales). I can't wait to go play it again right now... Okay, gotta go!
    ChrisBC
    I have the model with the hummy in the bridge too. It is the one in white and it is awesome 80 brand new. To be fair I got credit on a guitar I was trading in...
    raging_nucleus
    I got my SE with a humbucker at L&M too! (about 300$ as well) I even tried a 500$ Epiphone Explorer and the PRS was easily on par-if not better than- the Explorer!
    Full Skull
    I bought it for 500 (at this time the best price available in Germany...), but replaced the Bridge-PU with an old, unknown DiMarzio-Humbucker. If i play it over my tiny 15 W-Marshall Powercube, I have one of the bes METAL !!! - Sounds ever...the sound is still clear and punching, with nice harmonics....even tough it`s white !