SE One review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE One

Purchased from: K+B Music

It has an overall good sound, but I do not suggest using it with anything that sounds like metalcore or death metal. It suits my music style which is a Bullet For My Valentine crossed with Hinder sound, so basically a Pop/Metal sound. I've only used the following with this guitar. Marshall MG30FX Combo (Decent), Fender 15G Combo (Good) and a Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal (Decent). It is noisy depending on how much treble you have your EQs set on, it is much better with a lower treble given that the only pickup is next to the bridge. It gives a more rich sound in my opinion and is not as flexible on musical variety as its $2000 conterparts. I do suggest that if you get this that you go no more heavy than Metallica, because after that, it is not so good. However this guitar is perfect for any Clean riffs.

Overall it is a decent guitar for me given my musical genre but would be better with guitarists how tend to play older songs. I've been playing for 4 years now and I happen to own a Scheter C-1 Shedevil. If I could I would have asked how the playability matches that of other similar guitar companies. If it were stolen or lost I would probably buy a more expensive guitar such another PRS or Gibson or Schecter. I love the sleek design and classic look the guitar has, but I hate how the guitar craps out when it plays my style of music. My Favorite feature is the PRS Headstock because I for some reason am very fanatical about the headstock. I wish it had two pickups, but at least it's very good for a cheaper model, unlike Ibanez in which their cheaper models are completely made of crap.

This guitar has proven itself to me that it can withstand live playing during an Outdoor, Forth of July Gig, and the hardware, where it's probably not favorable, would last quite a long time. If it is bought brand new, "new" defined as been sitting on a shelf since 2010 and not leaving until Mid June 2011, the strap buttons should last until the guitars last days in about 30-50 years. I would use this guitar in a gig without backup considering that I was playing anything from the 1960's to the lighter sutff of the early 2000's. The finish is a Standard for most guitar so judge that as you will.

The Factory set-up is just excellent, but I changed strings as soon as I got it home. The Pickup is very well adjusted. Earlier in my review, I critized the pickup for it's treble response, but even more so, it surprisingly holds its own during playing. The Top and the Bridge are properly, and worked out very well. The action of the guitar (the distance between the fretboard and the strings) is very Standard to other guitars, but if you want to do more arppegios or tapping, or such as, you may want to lower it upon string change. The guitar had no flaws however the guitar strings were very corroded from its shelf life.

My PRS SE One was made in Korea like most cheaper model guitars with the year unknown. It has 22 Jumbo Frets, and has a neck scale length of 25 inches. I believe it is a solid top guitar. It is made of a Mahogany body and neck with a Rosewood fretboard. My model is Vintage Cherry coloured, with transparent finish. The body style is, of course, the PRS SE design which is similar to the Gibson Les Paul and the Bridge is a Standard PRS designed stoptail. It uses a Passive Soapbar pickup, and only features a Volume knob, there is no selector for a one pickup guitar. The tuners are also PRS Designed so the is hardly any third party presence in this guitar. It also came with a very sturdy gig bag, this bag features comfortable straps, organizer inside pocket, and a hook to hang on a rack during airline travel. This guitar is also dicontinued, however I cannot specify the year it was. The list price was $610.

The^Unforgiven
    I don't know... this isn't anywhere near the worst review I've ever read, but it does appear the writer is inexperienced. I mean, a singlecut with a single p-90 is a guitar for a very specific sound, and I wouldn't get this if I intended to play metal with it. I'd expect this to be great for a raunchy, loud rock sound, like Rory Gallagher or Brian May, for example.
    Sam Wotrey
    imaginary.frnd wrote: Playing metal with P-90s? That just doesn't sound right.
    You'd be surprised.
    Dempsey68
    sewoo55
    are you sure you paid 325 dollars for this? even the cheapest PRS Student Edition guitar costs about 500 dollars
    bla556
    yeah, finally a review for the se one, I was already planning to write it myself...still might do it! Waiting for mine to return from the shop, having installed locking tuners (tuning stability wasn't that great) and strap locks. Great guitar! Sadly it's discontinued but I only paid 414/eBay incl. shipping for a brand new one...
    metalhead1054
    This is a reviewer comment in which I'll explain everything. 1: I didn't know anything about P-90's prior to writing this, sorry about that. 2: The whole Ibanez speil was because I've played the cheaper model Ibanez' guitars and didn't really like it, (personal opinion) 3: I got it for $325 because the store I bought it from was closing next week so I got a major discount, and four pack of DR strings for 12 dollars, so I got really lucky with this purchase. 4: The metal spiel is because my band plays pop metal but I use this for clean riffs. I prefer to play melodic spanish classical on this thing, because of the clean sound.
    metalhead1054
    Oh yeah and about this comment, it had a better vintage tone on the fender, the marshall made it sound like my friend's washburn hooked up to a 120 watt randall.
    Dempsey68 wrote: few issues here... "Marshall MG30FX Combo (Decent), Fender 15G Combo (Good)" saywhat???? and also "unlike Ibanez in which their cheaper models are completely made of crap." their cheaper models are made from the same type of wood as their more expensive counterparts, basswood, ok not the same grade quality but the same kind of wood. and last i heard, ibby basic models (Gio series) are actually quite decent for the price, i also have experience of this as i own one. along with a $1000 fender strat. but on the plus side, it isn't a review of all 9's and 10's so well done there.
    n1ckn1ce
    imaginary.frnd wrote: Playing metal with P-90s? That just doesn't sound right.
    Unholy confession, avenged sevenfold.
    Stevegio
    They do make a two pickup model they call it the soapbar whic was discontinued in 2009 .This guitar was duscontinued THIS YEAR it is one of the nicest swettes guitars you can own perfect for everything but Metal which seems to be what all the 15 year olds on this site care about. This guitar was a work of art and to even compare it to anything the Schecter or ESP or any other metal guitar is a true tavestry