SE Paul Allender review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Paul Allender

Purchased from: Guitar Center, Orlando,FL

It really suits my music styles, Hard Rock, and Metal. (with some effects you can even have Blues sound). I use it with a Marshall 30dfx\Line6 Spider3 amp and a Boss GT-10 effect processor. It has a terrific attack clarity, creamy response and rampant sustain. This made clean tones almost too bright on the bridge humbucker but fat and defined throught the neck-positioned 'bucker.

I play Hard Rock, Metal, Heavy Electric Blues, It's a pretty good match with this guitar (of course I use effect pedals, but without them the sound stays cool). I have been playing for 3 years, the other equipment I own is: a Fender Custom Classic Stratocaster, a Gibson 80' Les Paul, a Dommenget 90 custom, a Master Caster 2008 White Zebra. If it were stolen\lost, I would not hesitate buying it again, but because I like changing equipment I won't. There are many things I like about it, the sound, the finish, the inlays, the price... The thing I don't like is that the tuners are non-locking, and the pickup selector is not well placed (behind the whammy bar) it's really unconfortable because every time I want to switch the pickup I hit the whammy. I compared it to many other products like the PRS Santana model, the Ibanez Universe, the Gibson Melody Maker, but I choose this one because it's the best guitar for the price (I think). I wish it had a Floyd-Rose tremolo and locking tuners.

This guitar withstands live playing. It looks like the hardware will last. The strap buttons are solid. I would say that you can depend on it, I do, I use it really often on gigs without a backup. I have it now for 2 years, and the finish is still perfect, like from the store. I think it will last.

The guitar was fairly well set-up. The pickups are a bit loose, but don't affect the sound. The top was properly bookmatched, and bridge properly routed. I would say that the guitar contained flaws. Like the pickup selector always changes directions, at the end I don't know what way is the neck pickup or the bridge pickup. And one tuner seems not stable.

Made in 2007, in Korea. Has a maple set neck with wide-thin carve, 24 frets, 25"scale lenght. Mahogany back with maple top and quilt maple veneer. The purple burst finish is unique to this signature model. Gold PRS-designed tremolo and sealed non-locking tuners. Volume and tone with three-way toggle pickup selector, and PRS-designed Paul Allender treble and bass humbucking pickups. No accessories were included.

guitargod1965
    i have already posted comments on this guitar but it is now time for an update. I have now had this guitar for a while and can tell you that it is quite simply put one of the most amazing guitars I have ever played. At risk of sounding obsessed with this guitar I can tell you that it puts most guitars costing 3x as much to shame. I was playing it today (like most days) and felt like I was playing a guitar built by GOD. It really is that good. Any style, it sings like an angel. This guitar inspires me to play ridiculous amounts of guitar for periods of time that are starting to tick my wife off. Whether you are playing through solid state or tube, the tone is awesome and the overall playability of this guitar is truly unbelievable. Sorry if I sound like I am in love with this guitar, but hey, I AM!!!!!
    GunLeatherGuy
    I had one of these...great guitar..just dont like vintage trems. Never really knew who Allender was until I looked on youtube. Holy Shit...I will never be a cradle of filth fan...who does falcetto screamo stuff anyway?
    DiscipleofOpeth
    If I'm too hard on the tremolo, yeah it goes outa tuning a bit. I think a change in strings would solve that. Locking tuners would have been nice, too for a guitar in this price range, I think they could've made it happen.
    DiscipleofOpeth
    I bought one of these back in August 09 and I absolutely love it! I'm not an accomplished guitar player by any means, but I can make this guitar sound great/vice-versa. It is a pleasure to play. I have some concerns over fit and finish though, the gold finish on the hardware began to rub off within a week, which bothers me from a quality point of view, but on the other hand I would rather have had silver in the first place! Also, the input connections are loose already...no problem to remedy, but shouldn't have had that problem already either, in my opinion. I did get a 1 year warranty which would take care of all this, but then, after it expires, what then? Even so, I'd still buy another one. Oh yeah, Cradle of Filth is not on my favourite's list either, but at least I've listened to 'em. I went looking for a PRS guitar because of my two favourite bands - Opeth and Porcupine Tree which use PRS's and their sounds are exactly what I like.
    sam_fisher
    Sounds like a good guitar, does it go out of tune much when you use the tremelo?
    krause734
    They now make this guitar in RED burst and GREEN burst as well as the original purple color. I like the look of the green. I wish that I had waited for it although the purple is not bad.
    guitargod1965
    a Note to Nirvanarien...try and get yourself one of these beautiful guitars, you will not be disappointed. I promise.