SE Paul Allender review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Paul Allender

This is a good heavy rock guitar, unusual for PRS. I don't do much heavy music other than 80s metal. I play j-pop (Japanese pop) music almost all the time and it sounds amazing. The pickups aren't noise and the guitar has a very heavy sound. It's pretty versatile, can get really good dirty tones and smooth clean tones.

This is an amazing guitar for j-pop music. It's also great for heavy metal since that's what it's made for. I've been playing this guitar for over two years, been playing three years total... If it were ever stolen or lost I'd go out of my way to get it back if I were unable to get another one just like it. I don't really hate anything about this guitar, never got the urge to swap pickups like most people do. I've played various PRS guitars, over 30 different models, and I would choose this one over all the others. Locking tuners would be good for this guitar, but other than that, I got no complaints.

I mainly use this guitar for recording, since that's usually all I do. It has held out very well on stage, but then again... I don't thrash around on stage either. I don't think I need a backup but I always bring my BC Rich as a backup just as an extra precaution. The strap buttons are solid, haven't had the strap fall off once before, always use Planet Waves straps. The finish hasn't worn out at all.

I had this guitar set up before I actually got it, so I wouldn't know about the factory setup. From what I've been told, PRS setups are usually very good. I didn't have to change anything on it other than swapping out the knobs for some gold metal ones, just to go with the hardware... The only flaw I noticed was a tiny blemish in the finish near the bridge, it's hardly noticeable unless you're literally only a few centimeters from the guitar. Sometimes the g string goes out of tune while in the case, but that's the only major issue I had and it's nothing serious either though.

I got this guitar brand new, I know a guy who works at PRS and he got me a great deal. I've owned this guitar for a bit over two years. I never listened to Cradle Of Filth, not my kind of music, but this guitar really caught my attention when I first saw it. The finish on this model is very unique and I think that's what caught my attention. The guitar came with a case and the little wrenches most guitars come with, nothing special.