SE Santana review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Santana

Purchased from: Italmelodie

This guitar is really good for ska/punk. It gives sweet cleans (with a kinda jazzy/rock feel) and when driven, although not the best, gives adequate tone. I think maybe swapping the bridge pickup would be beneficial for the drive, but not a purchase that needs to be made iminently. I run directly into a line6 spider II and it doesn't hiss the slightest bit (but the amp does have a noise gate). Obviously you can't compare this guitar to a Gibson or a full-fledged PRS, but when compared to the Epiphone Les Paul (which is around the same price), the sounds are virtually identical (the Paul is a little clearer when distorted, but the PRS has a warmer clean). The guitar is not the most veratile, simply because of the lack of feature, but for a reggae-ska guitarist it is ideal (compared only to other guitars in it's price range). For punk-hardcore-pop/punk guitarists this is adequate, but I might recommend changing the bridge pickup. Overall a good sounding guitar, but a little bit unversatile.

Overall, this is quite a fine instument. It is a very good guitar for ska and reggae, and if you throw punk into the mix too, it is at least adequate.I have been playing 4 years, and this is my 3rd guitar, and it is my baby. If it were lost or stolen, I would either buy this guitar again, or maybe go for an Epiphone Les Paul, they're both pretty equal. The neck is amazing, but I think the action could be a little lower. I hate the finish, and, honestly, this is not the best looking guitar. I also love the cutaway, it's really neat and useful. I was comparing this guitar mostly to the Epiphone dot and Les Paul. I ruled out the dot cause I decided I would rather have a solid body as a main guitar, and the Les Paul was a very close 2nd. I bought the PRS because I fell in love with the neck.

This guitar will do an excellent job live. I play ska/punk. Live this means fast, and energetic. Take the most energetic band you know and put them on speed; that's how we do. The strap buttons are amazing (too bad we cant say the same for my strap). I always gig with this guitar withour a backup, because I can't afford to buy a backup (I really should thouhg). but, live, I have yet to break a string with it. As I mentioned above; the finish is the one thing on this guitar that I dont think will last.

This guitar was perfectly set up at the factory, but before buying it I tried quite a few different ones, and they were not all set up perfectly. The action was set up optimally (as low as possible, without buzz). I have not experimented with pickup height on this guitar, but that is because they are already well enough positioned that I dont think I could make a significant difference. There were no visible flaws on the guitar when I purchased it. Two thing I should mention are: if you really like heavy guage strings, they wont fit on the guitar (I tried putting an old one on from my other guitar as a temporary replacement, but it didn't work); the finish is not very good (one day I came home from school and someone had taken a big chip out of the headstock while the guitar was on the stand. I assume someone was moving the vacuum and accidentally hit it, but I have yet to find the culprit).

I'm assuming it is either a 2004 or a 2005, but I'm not sure. 22 frets. Neck: wide/fat. Mahogany neck+body. Rosewood fretboard. Finish: black. Strat Style body. Stop-tail bridge. Passive elctronics. 1 volume/1 tone controls. 3-way pickup selector. 2 PRS humbuckers (bridge/neck). PRS non-locking tuners. Basically this is a very simple guitar. Just the way I like it, but since maybe you're getting a little less than going with Epi Les Paul (for about the same price) I'm gonna' dock a few points. But didn't buy this guitar for it's features and sound (although they are both good), but, rather, I bought this guitar, because I fell in love with the neck. This guitar is also extremely lightweight (I find this a plus).

sea_bass
    i love this guitar, ive owned one for 2 years now, i have the discontinued platnum. i have only had one problem that took about 5 minutes to fix. the only problem was the ground wire broke off of the input and just neede to be re-soldered. the guitar has an amazing sound for $500. i cant believe it. i love playing the blues and this is the perfect guitar from it. it still sounds great for anything else though. i love ripping off slash and mark tremonti from alter bridge. and the guitar is perfect for it. im going to keep this till i get my "dream guitar" the PRS 513!
    joshua wayne x
    mine is pretty impressive, i got it for 300$ and i feel it was worth every penny. I noticed its made in a few different countries, is that unusual?
    mr. ...
    AnTiSuCkEr wrote: Is it really stays in tune. My main problem with my santana se is that. It is not staying in tune also it is getting worse with using trem bar. What sould i do ?
    go buy some grovers or schallars
    ever dying
    I only paid 200.. And I'm freaking happy! My tuning is great, I locked my tremolo Thats the best guitar I have ever seen, for that price.. Now get me a PRS CE!
    AnTiSuCkEr
    MachineHeart
    you should kill urself. no no, im kidding, dont do that. i have the same problem at certain times (concerning the tuning). most of the time its perfectly fine, then sometimes itll onlt be the g string, then at times it will go way outta tune fast. i dont use a trem bar so thats definatly not the problem. but every couple of months when it starts going weird again, i just take it to my friend and he fixes it. i dont kno how, but i think he does something with the tuning pegs. its only happened a couple times, never live thank God. but hey, its a prs bitch. be happy