SE Singlecut review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Singlecut

Purchased from: Dan's Guitars

This guitar is awesome! I am into rock: alternative, punk, grunge, metal, classic, glam. I also love other genres like soul, ska, Christian, reggae. This guitar is willing and able to touch every subject! I'm currently running a Crate GX-20M amp, with a DigiTech Grunge Pedal, and occasionally a DigiTech Hyper Phaser. The pickups are passive, and both neck and bridge pickups are humbuckers. I agree that the sustains are excellent. But even though I love the sound, I can't deny that my style of music requires an active pickup, like a Seymour Duncan Dimebag.

I play rock, alternative, punk, grunge, metal, classic, glam, soul, ska, Christian, and reggae. This guitar sounds great in all fields. Clean and dirty is right about where I want it. I'll perfect it maybe with an active bridge pickup. I've been playing for 14 years now, and own a Fender Stratocaster electric, Takamine Acoustic, Alhambra Classical. Every guitar I own is special to me, and if this PRS was stolen I would not hesitate to buy another one. I'm considering spending a little more later on a Standard Singlecut. If I love this guitar, imagine how much better a Standard one will sound?!

This guitar is made to last. I plan to change the straps to locking strap soon. You never know with guitar knobs and switches, but I think it will last a good decade or so before they need replacement. I think all electronics on guitars fade over time. And I like guitars without pick guards. I don't know why. I never abused my first guitar and don't plan on doing that to this one either.

The action is superb! It feels easier to move around compared to my good old Fender. Cutting licks and scales is sharp. I couldn't ask for more from PRS. Like I mentioned, the finish is Black Cherry, which is deep red. It is absolutely beautiful! It's a color that makes me think of a lady's lipstick. I also noticed that this guitar is a little lighter then my mammoth of a Fender. No flaws.

I recently purchased a PRS SE Singlecut from Dan's Guitars, here in Honolulu Hawaii. I chose Black Cherry, which is a deep red. This was made in Korea, has a mahogany 22 fret neck with rosewood fretboard and moon inlays, with a wide fat neck. The body of this beauty is Mahogany with a Maple Top. All the accessories on this guitar is PRS made, from it's chromed non-locking tuners, chromed bridge, 3-way toggle switch, and volume and tone control.

jincasa
    -Thor- wrote: That guitar looks like a les paul style guitar
    garrettwichert
    spikormikor13
    garrettwichert wrote: If the Les Paul were Paris Hilton, this would be its Nichole Richie. Definitely the ugly one of the two.
    If the Les Paul were Paris Hilton then that wouldn't be saying much. At all. If anything, the PRS SE looks nicer than the similarly priced Epiphone Les Paul.
    bobthesgman
    i have a Gibson Les Paul Studio and one of these guitars, the Les Paul is way better
    guitarist41
    I'm looking for a new guitar and still dont have an idea of which one to get but i'll try this one out.
    yogev
    I got a prs se standart and this is so true.... the sound and the sustain are amazing but now when i look on this guitar i want to throw out my guitar and take this..... she is so beautifull! much more than the les paul guitars.... and the sound is a ten levels better than the les paul
    yogev
    -Thor- wrote: the single cut is the style not les paul.... and by the way there are few les paul double cut models That guitar looks like a les paul style guitar
    the.spine.surfs
    GumbyEater wrote: whats the purpose of not getting the normal double cut model? With a les paul, I can understand why a single-cut is preferable because of the classic les paul look, but with a PRS where the double cut is the classic look anyways, why stoop to single cut?
    Supposedly, it's just a style thing. Go for whatever look you like. But let's be honest...how man of use with strat or super strat bodied guitars use BOTH cutaways with any regularity?
    Xeus
    thirdeyepried wrote: I think gibson tried suing PRS because they said the body shape was too close to a Les Paul. PRS won.
    have you noticed that when they won ibanez brought out single cut guitar with humbuckers in the Artist series?
    farleysbeat
    prs guitars here in the Philippines cost twice compared to US-based online store prices. any way i own an ibanez artist single that Xeus mentioned above. it plays very good!
    Chad11491
    jincasa wrote: -Thor- wrote: That guitar looks like a les paul style guitar yeah i know eh, i hate when companys copy gibson and fender, then when i say ill only use fender,sqier,gibson,epiph one,gretsch, and taylor i get hell saying "they still make good guitars too". well yeah, but i like sticking with originals, not fake ripoffs that have the same quality, and are used by a bunch of metalheads
    you do know that prs's "fake ripoff" is better than a an epiphone or gibson? i'm not talking about the SE, but the standard, they aren't fake ripoffs , since when was anything other than the originals a fake or a ripoff, there's only so many shapes, and no wonder you catch hell for it, the stance is retarded saying that they're only used by metalheads and all that, you are aware that a les paul is a popular metal guitar too right..... anyway, i love the SE line, i just wish i had the money to buy a standard PRS
    X_Op3th_X
    I think PRS guitars are great cuz Ive tried some..But i got a Gibson because its the real thing...But how many shapes can people imagine to create?I mean that jincasa is right but what could PRS think to create??Square guitars or something..?I still belive that this one is a good buy btw. :devil:
    hemi-san
    i think its ok with this one sharing resemblence to a les paul, but there is one comp that copies fender all the way, they didn't evn change their headstock! or the name for that matter. their telecaster is a "T-Sereis Bent top"
    SublimeGuitar
    meinsane wrote: oooh i love that git. i played it myself, but i prefer double cutaway prs guitars. I just love the dave navarro signature prs.
    Dave plays single cuts now.
    Kikuta
    Singlecut PRS guitars make me want to cry. They're hideous compared to the normal double cuts!
    meinsane
    stiff-upper-lip
    syafiq_roslan wrote: whats the purpose of not getting the normal double cut model? With a les paul, I can understand why a single-cut is preferable because of the classic les paul look, but with a PRS where the double cut is the classic look anyways, why stoop to single cut? Because they like the shape of it,not everyone likes the double cut shape,and besides,how many people can actually afford a gibson?Owh yeah,btw,in the guitar world video demo of this guitar,he said the se singlecut is also available with a trem,is that true??
    yeah it is true. its just the single cut trem. am saving up for one, they're pretty much a les paul, but better in my eyes. the les paul aint for me, the sound is, but the actually guitar isnt. the pickup switch is in the wrong place and i like my whammy bar