SE Singlecut review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Singlecut

Purchased from: eBay

It's a PRS. That almost says it all. Think of the guitar as a barebones PRS guitar, kind of like the Epiphone Les Pauls. None of the flashy hardware or the bird inlays on the fret board (these SE guitars ave crescent moos which are rather cool in thier own right), but the sound is classic PRS. The pickups are actually very good, not the output you'ds see from the higher end McCarty or Dragon pickups, but still very nice. You can do a lot with this guitar, play almost any sort of music you can imagine. It's that versatile.

This is the best guitar I've owned, I an't imagine gigging or recording without it. I think my favorite item ends up being the master controls, I miss that easy control becasue my Les Paul has a set for each pickup. I also like that the volume control is located in a place where one can perform volume swells easily. If it were stolen, oh, there would be hell to pay.

It's a very well made guitar, everything looks and feels good. I could depend on this all the time, I suppose I could even gig without a backup, it feels that good! I don't see any reason to worry about anything with this instument. The finish also looks very vell done, very nice color, very good job for a guitar made in Korea.

My guitar was professionally setup when I ordered her, and it shows. Great action, I like the feel of this one more than my Epi Les Paul. It's a nice flat and wide neck, and the addition of the contoured neck heel and the scallop on the "horn" of the body add to the playability. All the hardware is well installed, no tuning problems whatsoever. The finish is very nice, with a nice maple binding.

Up for review is the PRS SE Singlecut. This is the PRS answer to the lower cost guitar market, and thus making it possible for anybody to own a piece of the legendary PRS quality. My particular guitar is the Singlecut version, short scale fretboard (22 frets), with the now non-available option of a lovley cherry red finish. You get two controls, a master volume and master tone, a three way selector Switch, PRS deisgned tuners and pickups, wraparound stop-tail bridge. The body resembles a slightly thinner Les Paul shape, with a major scallop on the back of the guitar like a Strat would have (for playing comfort) and a genius addition of a scallop inside the cut below the fretboard on the body of the guitar.

guitaraddict7
    garrettwichert wrote: If the Les Paul were Paris Hilton, this would be its Nichole Richie. Definitely the ugly one of the two.
    lol.... but this guitar is not that ugly...
    Vagabond21
    IMO this guitar blows any fender or gibson out of the water for the same price.
    CustomCustom
    I wanna get my hands on the new SE singlecut trem model but Id like it in the Blue Matteo finish thats only available on the non trem singlecut as of now. I hate the way PRS rolls out a guitar then adds colors and features each model year like a Ford or GM. If he just put the whole SE lineup on sale with or without trems in all available colors he would have had a sale from me now instead of later.
    jmooney1
    i just bought this guitar a couple months ago, when i first went to a guitar store i was set on a fender... but after playing mex. fenders, a couple ibanez, and a gibson custon sg(the cheap version) , a couple others and finally this guitar, this one blew them out of the water, the rest sounded boring and flat. this guitar has a wonder full sound and i can get most any sound i want out of it, it is also a wonder to play, for the price, it is unbeatable, nothing i would change about it
    slpknt21
    i haven't played this guitar yet, but a couple of my friends have played it and they said they weren't impressed. it looks like a solid guitar though.
    penguinsarecool
    I have this guitar. I absolutely adore it. And it looks much more stunning "in person" than in pics--don't let the sunburst pics fool you. I've had no problems with intonation, tuning stability, etc., and absolutely NO problem with the tone. Gah. I love this instrument.
    darkhorizon
    I have got one of these and it is a great playing and sounding guitar once it was set up as I wanted. It rarely needs tuning and is one of the guitars you can just pick up and play without giving it a second thought.
    dave996
    I was looking for a new guitar and played on quite a few, including my mates Gibson and made in America Fender Tele. Soon as I played this guitar I had to have it, I much prefer playing this than I did my mates Gibson. Oh and for those on here saying its ugly...I guess everyone has their own oppinion...personally I love it, got mine in a cherry sunburst. Quick note on the Epi LP's as well, I played one of those and it doesn't compare to this. I also played a Vintage SG and an Epi SG, the vintage was loads better!
    sewoo55
    hey guys i got a question... i went to the prs website and they have a model called the SE Singlecut Trem... please tell me, is this guitar the SE Singlecut with a tremelo or are there any more differences? also, how much is it?
    mooney99
    pretty sure it just has a tremelo, and it costs the same im pretty sutre