SE Singlecut review by Paul Reed Smith

Paul Reed Smith: SE Singlecut

Purchased from: Pete Oakley

I bought this after reading many reviews, wanting a basic 2 humbucker style guitar to compliment my USA Srat. Used for Blues, Rock and Punk, which it excels at. Used with a Laney LC30 class A, all tube combo. This guitar covers all ranges of sounds you would expect from a twin humbucker configuration axe and performs them with absolute aplomb, warm when required, brash when hit hard!. Lovely cleans and deep down and dirty at full bore. I do not need to use effects when playing live, as the tones from the guitar and Amp combo suits my needs exactly.

This guitar suits my style of playing, which is mainly rythym as I sing also. I have been playing for approx 20 years on and off and have a USA Strat, a Jagstang and a Takemine EN45c acoustic. My amp is a Laney LC 30 all valve and I have a Line 6 pod live xt which is used for recording. I checked extensive reviews before buying and have not been dissapointed with the purchase. I would buy again if lost or stolen. I have compared it my my band colleagues Gibson LP and the PRS holds its own against it. I love everything about this instrument, it almost plays itself. If I had to choose, I would say the neck and fretboard are its best points. I would struggle to find any bad points except the toggle Switch positioning could be better (a minor niggle). Overall, a very well made piece of kit. I had reservations about buying a Korean made instrument, as I previously owned an Epiphone Les Paul, which was unfortunately nothing short of awful. The PRS Quality Control procedures are obviously very robust!

I have gigged with this guitar and have never needed a back-up. I have changed the strap buttons to Schaller, but only because all my guitars are fitted with the same and I don't have to change straps when changing guitars. It feels as solid as a rock and have not, or do not anticipate any problems.

The guitar was very well set up from stock. I only adjusted the action down a tiny amount to suit my own preference. The intonation is very precise from the non-adustable bridge. The guitar looks and possibly more importantly, FEELS wonderful. I occassionally play for hours, which seem like minutes, a real joy, comfortable when sitting or strapped on. The neck is best described as effortless in my opinion.

Made in Korea, 2007. 25" Scale, 22 frets, Famous PRS Fat/Wide neck. Mahogany neck/rosewood fretboard and Bookmatched flame maple veneered mahogany body with maple? Binding in Cherry Burst - Stunning! Singlecut body of course, wrap around bridge (no intonation adjustment). One volume and one tone control, three position selector for two humbucker pick ups.